No announcement yet.

how to deter human pest?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had an allotment, it would be to grow produce for me, not for any casual passerby to help themselves to. That would make me mad!!
    Atta's place for surpluses is a great idea - but anyone who takes from a plot is a thief.

Sorry JJ, but I agree with Ap and the others here. If you put the hard work and expense into growing crops, you should be able to decide who to share them with.

Comment

I didn’t say it would stop thieving AP,it should be that you grow it & you should choose VC but this isn’t what’s happening. I’m saying,one way around it,so you don’t get stressed out if it happens,grow enough so that if some does get taken,you wouldn’t be as bothered. I don’t think there is a way of stopping thieves when the footpath is so close. If it was me & it is,I’d increase what I grow that’s all.

Comment

The chances are that the "thief" would take your prize pumpkin, biggest onion, ripest fruit - the one's you've nurtured most - not the wonky veg or the bucket loads of chard that you would happily offload.

Comment

I wouldnt mind someone take few beans or pinch herbs.But taking all pumkins or pulling out fruit bush can be frustraiting.

Some people when taking free vegees are leaving thank you note,I assume those are not the same person who took my sweetcorn.

Comment

People can be awful can't they?

I'd grow brambles on the sides facing the path. Can you put a fence up? Doesn't have to be high, but it's all about making it very clear (even to those who are deliberately trying to be unsure) where is public and where is not.

Visible presence helps. Anyone who can be down there should be encouraged to be as obvious as possible.

Leaving a radio on a speech channel may help too.

Comment

There is a old wobbly fence provided by council on the sides of path.I am going to put some more on my border to make crossing dificult.
              There is three types of thieves one as I know is an eldery person coming early mornings and picking whatever she likes (which I can forgive)the other are passer by what who see their a chance only to grab anything good to eat.Third are those who occasionally breaking into a sheds.

I cant grow brambles as it will take too much space from where I can acctually grow vegetables.

And to JJ yes I try to grow extra things in case of damage.

By the end of day it is a nice site its sunny warm and somehow sheltered from wind.

Comment

As brambles are not an option how about espalier fruit trees? Sure some would be taken from the path side, but still leaves some on the plot side.

Comment

What about planting a pyracantha hedge around your plot. I read somewhere that it's a good deterrent, as the thorns are lethal, (wear really thick gloves when it comes to pruning :O ), but the birds will love the berries. The berries are poisonous to us. If you can, have a couple of geese, but then you might run the risk, that some cruel person might shoot them. The geese will act as 'guard dogs'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X