Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared plot dilemma.

Hi all.
    I've recently put a horrendous amount of hours into digging over a very overgrown half plot. Fantastic earth. It was worked by same lady for about 30 yrs then neglected disgracefully by two subsequent holders.
    The lady I'm sharing with did a bit of weeding but hasn't returned so her sides very much in need of work. She's said she's coming back though I've not met her. I've weeded about 2ft on her side to minimise weed spread. ( she's not ill as I understand)
    It's open ground and I need suggestions as to how to separate our two plots. Does anyone share a plot that can tell me what they do?

I would ask the committee if they will officially half it and they can advise on local rules as to how you could achieve a boundary. To be honest I wouldn't fancy sharing with a stranger, then again I wouldn't fancy sharing with anyone, I like things on the plot my way

Comment

How long have you both had the plot? Do you share any parts of the plot or has it just been subdivided?I find that a lot of new plotholders in our allotments appear a couple of times and then disappear for good leaving behind a jungle. The council works at it's usual snailike speed and with it's usual incompetence at sending warning letters and reletting plots and doesn't seem to care. I presume the only qualifications to work for the council is to be politically correct and have a complete lack of common sense. I couldn't share a plot. Nobody (except my husband) would put up with me. Why don't you see if you can take over the other woman's part if she's a no show.

Comment

Accidently spill weedkiller over it...

Comment

Is the plot officially two half plots under each of your names?
          Or is it one plot under one or both your names?

Ours is the former. First year the person on the other half literally came once and never again.
          We aren’t allowed on others plots, even if they’re vacant - but once it was officially vacant, the site rep gave us permission to strim it to limit weeds seeding, and added bonus it was the tidiest vacant plot when prospective new plot holders came round, so was snapped up. Next lot of neighbours are fantastic!

Comment

As others have said, speak with the committee to see what you can and can't do. There may be a legitimate reason why she's not there, but you should seek advice what you can do to avoid getting weed seeds all over your plot.

Logunner, I hope that was a tongue in cheek comment, because I'd be mortified if anyone did that on our site, to another plot holder. In fact, I'd argue that should be a cause to be thrown off the site.
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
              As others have said, speak with the committee to see what you can and can't do. There may be a legitimate reason why she's not there, but you should seek advice what you can do to avoid getting weed seeds all over your plot.

Logunner, I hope that was a tongue in cheek comment, because I'd be mortified if anyone did that on our site, to another plot holder. In fact, I'd argue that should be a cause to be thrown off the site.
              Of course it was a joke..... I’d never accidently spill weedkiller, maybe deliberately but never by accident.

Suppose I’m lucky being on a self run council site. the committee, of which I’m one, make decisions quickly. Sharing a plot increases the risk of this kind of problem, but the risk is offset by 1/2 plots being easier to rent out quickly.

Anyway got to go and prepare some ammonium sulphamate for tomorrows attack.

Comment

I think it would be advisable for the committee to officially put stakes in showing the exact limit of your half. If you guess then it'll possibly be open to disagreement at some point.
                On my previous plot we had scutch invading from a communal path so I dug in old pieces of wriggly tin to a depth of about a foot to create a barrier above and below.
                The only negative bit about wriggly tin is that it can be a bit sharp if damaged.
                The plus side is that it's also easy to remove at a later date.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Get a tape measure, measure the plot and half it putting a wooden peg in. Do the same at the other end. Stretch a clothes line between the two pegs and stick a peg in every couple of metres or so. Take the clothes line off and problem solved. Simples.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sharing a plot with a total stranger sounds like a nightmare. I can't see how that would work.

Comment

I'd certainly vote for a specific split. Officially if the rules allow it, just by specific allocation of beds if not,

I'd put a path between the two.

If you are careful, you can put your name down for that half when they give up

I think you do need to be a bit sensitive, if she's been very ill and unable to get back then kicking her when she's down isn't great.

Comment

Hi thanks all. Very helpful. No the other half plot owner isn't ill I've established that. She's rang the
                        person who over sees the plots ( a number of times) to say she wants to keep it but wants her son to dig it over. He's obviously not playing ball and she's not been back. She did start some weeding which was a doddle as the ground was so good.But failed to return. I had the worst side by far. I'd go mad if weed killer or rotorvator were used. I feel if she were that interested she could at least cover the plot as has been suggested to her.
                        I'm ok with sharing but yes it's a real dilemma.
                        We simply don't have any committee. Just my councillor neighbour who shows folk around plots and tries to keep an eye on things. Sadly no one else wants the job and I don't really think he wants to put the time in.
                        For now I'm continuing to hand weed her side in case she doesn't return. It won't get the better of me.
                        I'm still really excited about next years flowers.

Comment

Can only suggest you mark off half the plot, more as a specific dividing line.
                          Depending then on how you feel I would strim the other half and add whatever to a compost heap.

That should keep the seeds etc down and leave it semi managable for future.

Could or would be allowed to take over the full area?
                          The site may have a sort of limit, and not sure the plot size either.

One maybe extreme option comes to mind.
                          You "take" over the full plot and dig it.
                          Lady lets you use half of hers and she then only needs to plant stuff and harvest, in her remaining half/quarter.
                          In effect you get the additional half for maintaining the other half.

Could lead to future problems but could equally solve things.

Comment

Kirk .. thanks. Im doing just that. Thanks for all suggestions. Still no sign of other 1/2 plot holder. I'm digging by stealth her side now. Despite a suggestion to her to cover the plot in her absence nothing's happened. The irony is the rain has made the plot easy to dig .. though labour intensive .. as the soil is so good.
                            The couch grass goes deep on her side and I can't just leave it. The strawberries and asparagus she inherited are absolutely swamped in weeds and huge show stopping dandelion plants! The border of the plot her side is no longer visible.
                            I'm going to ask the council direct if they can verify if she intends to return. In the hope she may decide the plot isn't really manageable. Time will tell.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X