Fires on Allotments

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires on Allotments

Our Council have banned fires on allotments between the the end of March and September. At our annual meeting we were informed that they were about to ban fires on allotments completely.

What are the rules on your allotments with regards fires?
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

No rules on our site but my old site had the same 'no summer burning' rules as yours.

I have visited my present plot and had to come straight home smelling like a kipper before

Its all about thinking of others and being sensible..
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

'1 April-1November. Fires can only be lit from appx an hour before dusk and must be in an incinerator/barrel. Dry wood or weeds only, no mdf, plastic, tyres, carpet etc'

'Smoke from a bonfire, which could cause a nuisance to neighbours by interfering with the use and enjoyment of their garden or property, could result in action under Environmental Protection Act '..blah blah blah

'All fires must be a manageable size and attended at all times until fire is extinguished, to ensure minimum smoke production.' (Can be during the day and out of the incinerator from Nov- March, though)

'The Council reserves the right to prohibit bonfires on specific plots or group of plots'. (in other words - near houses where they complain about anything/everything - even the noise of mowers and rotovators )

A family that took on a badly overgrown allotment this summer, made an early start and lit a bonfire at 7am, OMG! and the Council sent WARNING LETTERS to all the plot holders on our site. Everyone was up in arms, my phone never stopped ringing "it wasn't me".....

Comment

Same as yours,so far,most times there is a comunal one,peeps put on and a committee member light it,could that be a solution on yours,as it's usualy peeps burning individual and wrongly,that spoil things for the majority,controled burning if you like,much more sence to me.
        Last edited by lottie dolly; 26-09-2019, 09:22 AM.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

On our site we are only allowed fires during the week of November 5th. Can be a bit of a pain when you have a lot to clear and it's just getting wet

Comment

we've just lost summer burning, and only monthly in Winter. I suspect we'll lose that eventually. TBH, with my hippy hat on, burning is a waste of good biomass or a source of pollution depending what you are burning.

with my former boy scout hat on, fires are fun, and I'm looking forward to teaching my lad how to make good fires

Comment

Sundays and after 6pm for us. Every time someone complains though, we get closer to the inevitable total ban. I only ever burn once or twice a year, but I'll miss it when i can't.
              He-Pep!

Comment

I think I just found you on FB, Cad....

I've been driven off my plot by inconsiderate and downright loopy fires before now. OTOH, I'm getting a storm kettle for Christmas, and another old codger (said with the greatest of respect and affection) makes his tea in a battered black kettle over a small fire when he's on his plot.

Ours is a very small site, with rather odd antecedents and non-typical rules, and mostly as long as no-one is an out and out crook and plays nicely with others, there are no consequences.

Comment

Allotments owned by a charity.

There is a covenent that one day mid week (Tuesday) and every Sunday there are no fires allowed. There are houses all along one side of the plots.

As a collective we have further decreed that fires can only be lit when the wind carries the smoke in the other direction away from the houses and fires must be attended at all times. You must extinguish the remains when you leave.

To mitigate that the owners have again supplied a skip for the plotholders to dispose of non green waste free of charge. This also happened last year.

Comment

I can't remember the exact dates but it's something along the lines of no fires April-Sept

Comment

Total ban on all council allotments around here

Comment

No specific rules on mine, but there is a set of recommendations (which basically amount to "be considerate of others and don't cause a nuisance").

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                          No specific rules on mine, but there is a set of recommendations (which basically amount to "be considerate of others and don't cause a nuisance").
                          Ditto.....

Comment

I think it's only allowed an hour before sunset here. I only " think" as I have totally banned my husband from having fires after the aerosol incident followed by a trip to casualty a few years ago.
                            I quite like the smell of Autumn bonfires, but there are always idiots like the stupid ******* who insists on burning dead chickens. The smell of burning feathers is vile. Eventually there will be a total ban here caused by the inconsiderate idiots ( here that seems to be mainly composed of the older "all mouth and trousers" brigade).

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                              I think I just found you on FB, Cad....
                              I'm quite sure you have, I have asked the same question on 3 different facebook forums and here to see what information I get as the council has a Core Value or policy of PRIDE and part of P is

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pride No Decision about me without me.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2385384

And there has been no consultation, we found out about the draft policy document by chance just before our annual meeting as we added fires to any other business as no discussion with the site reps for the 37 sites and 2,500 plot holders had taken place.

I'm currently waiting for a reply from my local councillor as I want to take the council to task about it and want alternatives which I'm getting from the answers to my questions on the forums.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X