What's digging up my plot!?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's digging up my plot!?

Something has been digging all over my plot. Paths lifted up, one new bed in particular has had a load of the compost pushed out and the cardboard ripped up and dug up.

Gah!

I have put strategic paving slabs and bramble cuttings down to dissuade.

It's interesting, something has had a regular nose around, but not to this level of diggings. Is it the time of year for foxes or something?
    Last edited by bario1; 23-09-2019, 12:40 PM.

Definitely foxes. I watched one dig a big hole in one of my large blueberry containers once. When I went over to have a look, there was some kind of buried fungus thing that it'd been digging out to eat.
    He-Pep!

Comment

I kept finding eggs buried all round my plot, really weird. Thing is, it didn't look disturbed.
      Somebody here assured me it was definitely foxes.
      sigpic

Comment

Badger also will dig up after something to eat,especially when dry.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I think it's eaten one or more of my asparagus crowns too...

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
            I kept finding eggs buried all round my plot, really weird. Thing is, it didn't look disturbed.
            Same thing happens here, as you say - it's a really weird feeling when you find them in the ground. The old'uns told me it's foxes, as well

Comment

It's badgers on my plot. They haven't actually touched the beds (at least not my beds), but the paths are littered with divots where they've been digging for worms.

Comment

Yep on my plot if I add any fresh compost or muck I protect it with a border fence or wire mesh over the top or they will be in digging for worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                  Same thing happens here, as you say - it's a really weird feeling when you find them in the ground. The old'uns told me it's foxes, as well
                  It was happening that often, I was beginning to think it might be a fellow allotmenteer playing a prank in the hope i put my hands through it and it explodes with a putrid pungency of a 1000 skunks
                  sigpic

Comment

We have a resident allotment fox who does exactly that. Rips up cardboard from the bottom of my paths, nibbles freshly planted seedlings, digs new beds. Poops on them.
                    I know what to expect and don't get too worked up about it any more.
                    Any freshly prepared beds I now leave for a couple of nights before I do any planting, to give foxy the time to do his/her worst.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
                      Somebody here assured me it was definitely foxes.
                      What kind of eggs ?

Comment

Bird's eggs, of all sorts, buried here...

Comment

What kind of wild animal buries birds eggs ?

Comment

I just googled this and it appears Foxes do cache eggs for eating later, see here

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how...y-egg-thieves/

This will help identify the different birds eggs https://www.discoverwildlife.com/how...fy-birds-eggs/
                            Last edited by Can the Man; 24-09-2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
                              What kind of eggs ?
                              they were hens eggs
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X