No announcement yet.

Overwhelmed Allotment Newbie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a lovely welcome from you all & so much encouragement 🤗 Snoop Puss I’m in Norwich if that helps and Scarlet thanks for the link.

Comment

Sounds like broad beans might be a goer. Plus spinach, winter lettuce, corn salad, daikon radish...

Comment

By way of comparison, this is my 5th season (got the first half of the plot in late 2014), and i'll be putting in the last beds this year

Comment

To me, it sounds like you have it very well under control - you only took the plot on in July, and it had been neglected.

Don't worry about the optics of your allotment, that comes with time. You're doing a great job of getting compost bins up and mulch down. Once you get a compost source sorted and weeds somewhat under control, you are already winning!

Huge difference for me, was:
          - to establish paths to walk on - differentiating growing area from walking area. This can be via raised beds, or just woodchip paths (if woodchip is free on your site). Pethaps doesn't suit everyone, but this was critical for getting things under control for me.

- having a nice designated spot to sit and have a cuppa helped.

- Cardboard can also be your friend on an allotment , it is free, biodegradable weed suppressant.

- I've had partial success 'exhausting' bindweed from my raspberry patch - I just snip it at ground level when it pops up. The leaves wilt away very quickly. It was infested, and 3yrs later it is an 'event' when one or two pop up each year.

- Finding good local (free) sources of organic matter was also hugely helpful. Leaves, grass clippings, manure - you just can't have too much compost! I've found I generally have to compost manure else I introduce too many new weeds.

- starting with an established rhubarb and asparagus bed sounds ace. I'm sure plot neighbours can give you cuttings etc. of various other tasty perennials

Good luck, and enjoy the fresh air!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X