Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weed-free path suggestions

hello!

Currently my paths on the plot are woodchip over plastic (some parts sheet, some parts old compost bags).

I would prefer to remove plastic from the site, so I'm wondering about alternatives.

The problem is weeds. The plot is riddled with marestail, bindweed and couchgrass.
    The other problem is lack of time, both to weed and simply to keep the paths clear by use.

The paths play a crucial part in keeping weeds down, both by being "firebreaks" and by not being a weed repository in themselves.

What other ways could I do paths that won't end up being a playground for weeds?

Incidentally, on a facebook group, there was a collective in-take of breath when I suggested (for ground cover purposes) covering plastic with woodchip as apparently it makes if difficult to remove. I have never found this, rather the opposite that it keeps the plastic in better conditions. Anyone else got views on this?

Its partly a time/effort/resources problem where only you will know what you can get and be prepared to do eg a layer of weed suppressing fabric first followed by sand and then old bricks on top makes a good path but obviously too expensive if you have to buy in materials. Round here in the old days all the houses had coal fires, so cinder paths where ash and un-burnt stuff from the grates were chucked out and spread were almost universal.

Comment

Mine are the same as yours, Mike (split fertiliser bags with woodchip on top), and I don't find any issues with the degradation of the plastic - as it's not exposed to sunlight, i think it remains stable. When new woodchip becomes available I shovel the old stuff off and throw on the beds or in the compost heap and lay the new stuff down. I think it's better than dedicated weed fabric, that stuff IS hell to get up once the weeds have found a way through it. You could look on your local giveaway sites for concrete slabs if you have the time and energy to pick them up and lay them?
      Last edited by bario1; 19-09-2019, 09:13 AM.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Thanks Nick

I was musing about cinder paths, but I'd need to get the cinders from somewhere. Also, the level of sulphur, tars etc from coal burning make me wonder if it's any better.

Bricks and sand would be great, but as you say, getting them would be an issue, and I'd still be where I am with the layer of plastic - which is the bit I'd like to get rid of.

I suspect that there isn't a better answer, but unless I ask, I won't know, so please don't think I am knocking your suggestions, and thank you for your time to help.

Has anyone put turf down over ground containing marestail etc? did it keep it down?

Comment

Nothing keep marestail down!
          I had the drive block paved 15 years ago over some grass that had marestail in it. Its pushed its way up through all the joints.
          If you turf it, you'll have to mow it.

Comment

Thanks all

Bario - that is exactly what I do (if I'm copying a mod, it must be right... ). I need to do another digging session as I'm needing more compost for the last few raised beds.

Veggie - I feared as much about marestail. It's a bvgger isn't it? has it always been here or is it a recent thing?

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
              if I'm copying a mod, it must be right...
              Haha that's definitely untrue - modship isn't necessarily a reflection of gardening know-how!
              He-Pep!

Comment

Kill the mares tail then use several layers of cardboard under the woodchip

Comment

*kill the mares tail* is easier said than done though...
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                    You are not wrong there.

(I was hoping you would suggest making the path out of lemonade cans...

I did once see a plot where someone had edged a bed in wine bottles. I really hope I couldn't manage that - 8.2 linear metres of edging per bed. Assume 10cm diameter of wine bottle - 82 bottles/bed. I've got 10 beds in the new half plus another 3 of the same size in the old bit (and 5 more of miscellaneous sizes). Assume they are all the same, and that's 18 beds = 180 bottles = 135 litres of wine... or three years if you drank a bottle every week)

Comment

three years if you drank a bottle every week
                      A bottle a week? That's not very ambitious!
                      He-Pep!

Comment

I'd get it done in time for the new growing season certainly...
                        sigpic
                        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

My paths are quarry tiles laid on the soil really I should have used something to stop the weeds coming through. That's a project Ive been putting of because it took me ages to get them flat and level.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I did once see a plot where someone had edged a bed in wine bottles.
                            Snadger edged his beds with panties.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...bed_64162.html
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 19-09-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                              Can be done, it is not easy, but is achievable.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X