What size seed tray insert for starting off sweet corn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size seed tray insert for starting off sweet corn

I want to sow my sweet corn now, but don't have enough small pots.

Is it OK to sow them in the plastic inserts which sit inside a standard sized seed tray?

I have a few inserts, they were 3 for a quid at Wilko, so I got three of each of the following sizes ..40, 24 and 15

I would image the 15 size would be best for the corn, as the plants will be there until the end of May / early June. Am I correct ?

For potting on cabbages / kale which size would be best .. bearing in mind that the seedlings will be transplanted there for only 2-3 weeks at most.

Finally, are inserts a bit too small (even the 15 size) for French beans and courgettes?

I might just buy some 4inch pots ... our allotment shop have 10 for 80p

thanks

No good for you now but maybe save loo roll inners for next year. I use them them for beans and also sweetcorn, no root disturbance at planting time, just plant the loo roll. Courgettes and squash I stick in 4" pots as they get large quickly. I haven't tried in modules so don't know if Ok.
    For your kale and cabbage it depends on what size they are now, are you just pricking out? I'd aim to try to have a solid root ball in the module to make planting out easier but not so much that it's rootbound. So if just pricking out then the 40s or maybe the 24s depending on the size of the seedlings and roots.

Comment

You can make your own pots with newspaper wrapped around a tin of beans,plant the whole thing out,no root disturbance. I sow into 3” pots,I bought loads one year,it is good having loads of pots they last a long time & you don’t need to worry “where is there a pot” any following years,there’s so many pots waiting for you to sow everything it’s a good investment.

Comment

I'd second Jane. I'm planting mine in root trainers

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

A lot depends on how many seeds you have. If you have 24 seeds, I would put them all in 1 tray. I've just sown my sweetcorn about 3 days ago. 30 seeds in the packet so all in 1 tray The compost was 50:50 a peat free and a miracle grow for the extra nutrients as could be there for a couple of weeks. I like the idea of the inserts as I sometimes have difficulty untangling the roots if I get delayed doing things. I'll probably plant out mid May but be prepared to cover with garden fleece if cold is forecast at all.
          For the cabbage, depends on size you want them to get to before planting out and how many you want to plant out. I don't think we eat 40 cabbage/kale in a year. We eat more caulis and broccoli.

Comment

I sow mine in root trainers so that’s 50 in a standard size seed tray
            I may be hungry but I sure ain’t weird

Comment

I use small pots to start off my sweetcorn as they get big quickly. You are quite early to be starting them. Do you have somewhere warm to grow them on before you plant out?

Comment

Originally posted by WillieBee View Post
                ...40, 24 and 15

I would image the 15 size would be best for the corn, as the plants will be there until the end of May / early June. Am I correct ?

For potting on cabbages / kale which size would be best .. bearing in mind that the seedlings will be transplanted there for only 2-3 weeks at most.

Finally, are inserts a bit too small (even the 15 size) for French beans and courgettes?...
                they'll be fine in the 24's as its only grass when all said and done you can always pot them on if you want. I (like others) use root trainers so theyre OK for a td longer.

Cabbage/Kale - well, if you watch Charles Dowding, he plants out straight from 40's but I used to pot up into a 3" pot and then I could use my beloved Bulb planter to plant them out so they should be OK in 24's as well especially as theyre not going to be in there long.

French beans - they will be OK to sow in 24's then you can plant them out or pot them up in to 8" pots and grow them in the greenhouse for an earleir crop.

ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X