Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth worth sowing old vegetable seeds ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth worth sowing old vegetable seeds ?

Is it worth sewing old seeds ?

I have quite a few packets of vegetable seed, some packed in 2015 and 2016

is it worth sewing these, or will it just be a waste of time

I know some seeds (parsnip being at least one) that will not grow if it is old, but are others OK ?

thank you

Test a few seeds on some damp paper to see if they germinate.
    If you sow 10 and 5 germinate you'll have an idea whether to sow them thickly or not. If less than 5 germinate its probably best to buy new ones.

Comment

I sowed some old cape gooseberry seeds only one has germinated,its precious but I wonder if it’ll be a weak plant,I’ll sow more seeds & try & get a few decent looking seedlings that’s all I do,sometimes you get a load of good seedlings but it’s a risk with things like carrots,waiting so long & not knowing what it’s gonna look like when you pull it up. Some old 2015 tomato seeds have germinated here,it’s a relief to see them appear I can save some seeds from the best plant

Comment

I always sow old seeds. Usually a lot more than I need, to increase chances of getting some germination.
        Sometimes I end up with loads, sometimes nothing. More often than not, I get something come up. Either way I'm happy because I've given them a chance. Plus I enjoy sowing seeds, so if I have to do it again it's not a problem.

Comment

When I advised testing for viability earlier I should have added ...................but I don't.
          The really old ones are scattered randomly in an out of the way corner and sometimes all manner of surprising items grow.
          If you have a new plot, pop down to L1dl and buy some cheap, fresh seeds to start you off and experiment with the older ones.

Comment

Have a read at this vine link, old seeds last longer than you think.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ing_96272.html
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Definitely worth trying them but...........

The big issue is timing if they don't come so bear that in mind as for instance with carrots you could lose 4 weeks or so of growing time waiting for them to appear and then they don't
              Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 19-03-2019, 04:43 PM. Reason: speelimg mistook

Comment

It all depends on how much space you've got. when I had an allotment, I treated old seeds as a bonus, sowed them "out of the way" and increased the glut if they grew. Now that I've downsized to a garden, its more important that what I do sow grows so I tend not to sow old seeds that don't keep (parsnips & carrots for example).

Comment

It's alway's worth a shot, you'll never know unless you give them a go.
                  Just don't use prime space, save that for new seeds that are guaranteed to germinate.
                  I did try 2004 bedford champion onions last month, 2 full packets of them, i think 1 germinated
                  sigpic

Comment

Sometimes seeds can surprise you. I sowed two old packets of peppers seeds - not a single one germinated. I bought a new pack and sowed them, not a single one has germinated.

I sowed three or four packs of very, very old chilli seeds and every single one must've germinated cause now I got 120 odd plants (taking them to work as we speak).
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X