The boggy plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
    Who maintains the plot? would it be worth seeing if they could put a french drain under the path. If you can get a mini-digger down there it would be a simple job.
    I will certainly mention it to the committee and the council when I'm next in contact with her
    Last edited by organic_gibbo; 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Good to know the trenches are working.

I've given a like to your path shot. That was a sympathy like (as on the minor rant thread), not a "that's good" kind of like.

You're making good progress by the look of it.

Comment

A few dry days and what a change! Been chipping away slowly at things but after today it's beginning to resemble an allotment as opposed to a bog

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190328_195257_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2382835

Comment

And I must be doing something right as things are actually growing!

Name:	Screenshot_20190328_195325_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	2382836

Comment

you appear to have a good crop of jacket coming on behind the strawberries...

good work on the plot, it's looking good. can you get some woodchip or similar to cover the membrane, it'll look nicer and last longer

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
              you appear to have a good crop of jacket coming on behind the strawberries...

good work on the plot, it's looking good. can you get some woodchip or similar to cover the membrane, it'll look nicer and last longer
              F1 grafted hoody hopefully at the end of next month I'll get some woodchip orderd

Comment

wood chip, wood chip and more wood chip, barrow tons of the stuff in.
                When it rots, put it in your beds and then repeat over again
                sigpic

Comment

Plague tree surgeons for the woodchip, sometimes they're just in your area and would rather tip out a load than take it back to base and have to store it.

Wow, you've made brilliant progress, must be so rewarding to see how far you've come.

I missed this thread before, but just wanted to say that some of the plots on my site are like yours. This time of year they're pretty much under water, but from Easter or so they tend to start drying out. The growing season is shorter up here anyway, and folk tend to leave things alone over autumn and winter and only start cultivating in late spring.

Part of the trick is not trying to work (or even walk on, unless essential) the soil while it's waterlogged.

My plot isn't as bad, but in a wet winter I can tip toe about the place picking PSB but that's about it. I gaze enviously at those who can do autumn/winter digging. ;-)

Comment

Like 1Bee I have missed this thread till now, if I had a garden like yours I would dig a deep hole at the middle of your highest boundary fence and run a trench from both sides into it fill the hole and ditches with stone chips, it would even work filling everything with wood chip, do the same at the lower end and down your paths all the soil you dig out can go onto your raised beds, and doing that does work as I have had to do that in the past
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Things are beginning to dry out two of the four trenches are still holding a bit of water but that's their job!

Name:	Screenshot_20190410_205455_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2383033

Comment

Beautiful evening to be out, bare root raspberries went in Saturday (they still look dead), strawberries bed is ready and awaiting T&M delivery. Then I've three 12' x 4' beds ready to go and another half filled. What a great hobby to have

Name:	Screenshot_20190410_205432_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2383034

Comment

Looking great, what a difference! I have massive sympathy as we are on clay at our allotment which we are slowly improving with manure.

Having said that I now don’t start working the soil until April when it’s a bit drier. I was like you in the first year as we got the plot in February all keen to get it in shape as was covered in couch grass and really compacted, it gets easier I promise (it’s our third year and in a fit of madness I’ve taken on the adjacent half plot).

Comment

Quick update for my own records, trenches still filling with water but things are growing!

Peas, mangetout, potatoes, red onion, spring onion, cabbage, pbs, calabrese, pak choi and strawberrys

Name:	Screenshot_20190618_152215.jpg
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	2384173

Comment

OMG! Just amazing what you have achieved in such a short time with a really difficult plot. You must be super chuffed.

Comment

Really am, looking forward to reaping me rewards now! I forgot about the runner beans and courgette. Weather's been pants but hopefully it'll pick up soon!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X