The boggy plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
    The plot to the right in your first photo looks a lot drier, possibly because it's higher. Your plot seems much lower overall. Very odd.

You might find that removing the black plastic might help the drainage overall.

Drainage trenches round the edges and lowering the path level and piling everything you dig out into your raised beds looks like your only option. Not going to be nice walking around on a wet day, though.

How high are you proposing to raise your beds? What are you using as the side walls of your raised beds? Wood might rot very quickly in those conditions.
    The existing ones are made of 1 inch thick non-treated boards, as im all into organic growing but I think the next lot will be pressure treated!

I do however have access to a good bit of well rotted horse manure and have carted a large pile to the plot so far and will hopefully do the same tomorrow!

Thank you all for the help so far!

Comment

Front view of the plot, I think the previous owner rotivated the entire plot before leaving which is why its so mishapenClick image for larger version

Name:	20190222_195129.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2382402

Comment

I'd definitely look at the plot and find which side is the lowest in level, and dig a trench to drain off there. It looks really, really wet, so I'd maybe considering putting in a drainage pipe with lots of little holes that allows water to go into the pipe. Ask the council if they'd be willing to get drainage holes drilled down perhaps, to act like a sump?

I'd definitely put down woodchip on the paths.
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh and you could see if you're allowed a pond! It looks very much like, if you dug down for a pond, it would fill itself naturally. That would help too
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

On the plus side, you'll be able to grow lovely celery
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
              Oh and you could see if you're allowed a pond! It looks very much like, if you dug down for a pond, it would fill itself naturally. That would help too
              Pond is definately on the cards!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves
                The weed membrane might keep your boots clean but wont do anything to reduce the wetness. From the picture it appears you are in a hollow and all the surface water run off is collecting there. How long have the allotments been there?
                Oh i thought it would allow the plot to breath! Steep learning curve! The allotments are only four years old. The guys up at 'the top' also have some problems when theres a heavy downpour as we are on a slope and the water apparently just flows through!

Comment

Dug two additional trenches yesterday so thats four in total and removed most of the plastic sheeting. Have hurt my back though i think from yanking my boots out of the swampy spots so fishing today was cancelled Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190224-125536_Gallery.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	2382421

Comment

Has whoever has the plot next to you put up some kind of screening to stop water flowing into their plot? If so, it's possibly diverting yet more water your way. Might be worth your while doing the same, but discuss with your neighbour the other side out of courtesy, as they may wish to do the same as you too. Also, dig a trench along the fence side.

Very good luck.

Comment

Our first plot was similar to that...very heavy clay.
                      We used loads of spent hops from the local brewery to try and improve the soil...the sand you are using sounds great too.
                      One year we were trying to plant out potatoes and as we dug a trench it filled with water...came back the next day and it was filled with frogs spawn!

So...we changed our tactics...grow main crop spuds only so they would be planted later...and mostly quick maturing veggies.
                      The growing season was much shorter...at both ends , but in some ways that was OK... you will find that it'll be lovely and fertile though.

Celeriac should also do well!

Drainage Trenches and some raised beds are certainly the way to go
                      You'll get there in the end.
                      And the huuuge plus will be that under the hard crust the water retention should be fine during a drought, and you will get fewer weeds in the heat of the summer.

Remember...it's only February!!!!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

As Nicos says... "It's only February".

I would be sorely tempted to just stop for the moment!!!

All the digging is just going to churn up more and more mud and end up compacting the soil as it's so wet. When you say you've dug four trenches, are they just open topped ditches? What's the plan with them? Do they run anywhere?

Where are you trying to drain the water to?

Have a read of this website: Pavingexpert - AJ McCormack & Son - Drainage - Land Drainage for Fields and Gardens about land drainage.

As per my previous suggestion, i would get a tonne of woodchip in there to start soaking up some of the water; breaking down and mixing with the clay.

Comment

Just random trenches at the minute which even in 24 hours and after some rain seem to be helping. I think i'll leave it all well alone now except for adding the new raised beds.

I had read somewhere or maybe some one at the allotment that wood chip attracts slugs, is there any truth in this?

Thanks for all the guidance so far guys

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190224-154528_Gallery.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	2382422

Comment

That looks really bad. Looking at the photos you are next to a new build and not only that, it looks lower for some way into the distance. It’s all coming your way unfortunately and won’t change.

So sorry for you. My garden is similar. Next to a council school field and I’m lower in parts. It just comes my way. No way to stop it.

Not all doom and gloom though. I have built raised beds and you should do the same. At least a foot high, maybe two.

Kind Regards.............Rob
                            Last edited by Dynamite; 24-02-2019, 11:38 PM.

Comment

This doesn't help but you have beautiful 'soil' for a pizza oven or making pottery. While you probably can't sell it off, if you decide to start a(nother) hobby you're on a gold mine. No one would gripe over a few chunks of clay removed here and there.

One of the guys at my old site made a pizza oven from the soil on the site, hay, and he sourced free brick for the wood part and a smooth slab.Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190225_074229.jpg
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	2382442Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2382443
                              https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

That certainly doesn't look good Gibbo.
                                The drainage ditch should help but it looks like the clay has lost any structure it may have had from being worked. As has already been said I'd be inclined to get rid of all membrane and build raised beds. Roughly level the clay and cover paths between beds with three inches of wood chips. Look into no-dig for the beds. Together this should encourage microbes, worms and fungus back into the plot, all of which will help with drainage and increase the effect of your ditch.
                                Re slugs and wood chips, most of our paths and half the beds are mulched with it, we're going into our fourth year and so far slugs haven't been a major problem.
                                Good luck with it and keep us posted.
                                Last edited by Mr Bones; 25-02-2019, 08:22 AM. Reason: can't add up..
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X