Potting compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting compost

With the season soon upon us for my wife's despair at the number of propagators and seed pots on window sills, I was wondering what potting compost people use.
    I had a reasonable yield last year using bog standard garden centre compost but am looking for better this year.
    Do you guys mix your own up or use a particular compost you've found to work well?

I have had my eyes on some lovely looking mole heaps when I have been walking the dogs!
    Mixed with whatever compost I have to hand and some sand to make a JI type compost, I will put up with any weed growth forthcoming.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I use any multi purpose or seed compost & I always add a sprinkling of mycorrhizal fungi (root grow) let the seed touch it,then cover over with a bit of compost.
      In one of the pots on the windowsill you could write a sweet little note for your wife & put it in a pot,when she sees it she’ll think awww what a love & then will forever love the pots on the windowsills?

Comment

I use whatever's cheap. If its for seed sowing I take the big lumps out first.

Comment

Westland MPC has served me well for past few years.
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I’m a Jack’s Magic kinda guy.
            He-Pep!

Comment

I use B&Q's gp for sowing and then a fifty fifty mix of same along with John Innes 3 for potting on. I also add some vermiculte to the mix to help keep it open and some slow release fertiliser to help keep things growing later

Comment

I use whatever compost is the cheapest, and often that is Lidl's, and I'm very happy with that. They haven't got any in yet, so I bought three large bags from Wickes this week, and that looks fantastic.
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                  In one of the pots on the windowsill you could write a sweet little note for your wife & put it in a pot,when she sees it she’ll think awww what a love & then will forever love the pots on the windowsills?
                  I wonder if something like this will work with the large bag of compost on my kitchen worktop
                  Son came home yesterday and said OMG! Even in student digs they don't have mud in the kitchen

Comment

I use bog standard compost. I do add some grit/sand to loosen it a bit if I remember when taking cuttings.

Comment

Mixture of compost, worm castings, coir, perlite, vermiculite and bloodfishbone/chicken poo pellets. This year we should have enough homemade compost, but if we run out it's usually New Horizon peat free (they seem to have really improved the formula, didn't find any non-composted woody bits last year). I'd like to make enough leaf mould to replace the coir.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X