Organic material for allotment.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
    You could make something like this,you’d never know there was a bin in there & space to grow in the top (I didn’t copy & paste the link because the price said over £1000 or it might’ve been dollars either way it’s too expensive!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84099[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]84100[/ATTACH]
    I can see a pallet project taking shape!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
      Why not just buy a dedicated caddy? It's strong, it clicks shut to reduce smells and the carry handle is useful when you're heading to the plot....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-5L-...2T8:rk:18:pf:0
      Far too small! for my waste requirements for a week
      Last edited by Snadger; 01-11-2018, 03:08 PM.
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Why don't you make compost in your garden?

Comment

Kitchen trimmings go into the home dalek, bigger home stuff like hedge trimmings go to the lotty.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Why don't you make compost in your garden?
            Because I already have a compost bin on the plot and don't want to waste the space in my garden. Apart from that it will give me a good excuse to visit the plot each week, now that I have no chooks and can't use them as an excuse!.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Do you still have 2 plots? I'm losing the plot here

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Do you still have 2 plots? I'm losing the plot here
                I still have the Scrapheap at my distant site and also have a large Penultimate plot close to where I am living now.I also have a large garden but have plans for that. I fancy an orangery linked to the house with a summerhouse at the top of the garden.

I will probably keep my old plot on as well next year and maybe visit it monthly instead of the daily/weekly visit to my new plot.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I am getting quite a bit of wood ash from my log burner lately so I could mix this in with my kitchen waste to help sweeten it once I get a receptacle.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I was going to suggest a couple of mop buckets, some polythene for a lid and elastic to hold it on, but if you are going to use wood ash it would need to be cold or use metal mop buckets, though the bit to wring out the mop can't be removed with them
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      I can see a pallet project taking shape!
                      I gave this sort of thing a try in Glasgow...

Make it a bit taller with a "stable door" at top. - perhaps with a spring to close it.

Going to be a faff opening the "drawer" to fill and the drawer rails will get stressed.

I had a lid and ended up opening so often is stayed up using the wheelie bin lid most of the time.

Comment

Are dalek bins really truely totally rodent proof?
                        I am still recovering from the trauma of killing a mouse in polytunnel ( much more traumatic for the mouse of course) but if there were rats in compost heap I think I would lose it.
                        But I would like to be able to compost bones...

Comment

No they are not. We had a rat in ours in the spring, dalek is sitting on a plastic base (the type that are shaped to fit) which itself sits on a concrete slab - part of a shed base, so no way the rat could dig under it.

Opening the lid to find tunnels and droppings, definitely not mouse sized resulted in squealing, from me rather than the rat!

Have no idea how it got in to be honest, I’m betting it squeezed in the ‘door’ at the bottom although not visably dislodged as the bin and base haven’t been chewed and the lid was still firmly on.

Only composed mainly grass, prunings nothing that should attract rats.

Have to say it has rather put me off composting at home so now take everything to the allotment. I know there are rats there but the local cat that hunts on the allotment catches them.

Comment

I use a 10ltr food caddy to collect kitchen waste, keep it outside and take it to the plot a couple of times a week. Lucky to have an endless supply of cardboard.

But, are coffee grounds and tea bags green or browns?

Comment

I use something similar to this and I've had that for quite a few years. I have two daleks at home, and I will bring the compost up there when it's finished, rather than bringin the raw materials there.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compost-B...r=581304538899
                              Why are sooo many caddies so ugly and super practical? For me to use it, it needs to be where I chop my veg, and then it needs to be prrreettyyy
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
                                But, are coffee grounds and tea bags green or browns?
                                Yeah that's a good question!
                                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X