No announcement yet.

G'day

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take some photos after several cups of tea. Unfortunately, I've already pulled or cut back most stuff.

In theory, Sydney has a temperate/sub-tropical climate. That designation is based on average temperatures, though, and they're based on 30 year records. The "average" temperature in February is 27 - in reality, it's a month in which we tend to get at least one heat wave (we're at the end of our second for the month now).

The heat is great for getting plants to maturity, but after that it can be a problem. We got a heat wave just as my tomatoes and capsicums started to flower and when that happens they abort a lot of the flowers and won't set fruit until the overnight temperature drops a little. While the tomatoes went on to produce more flowers and set fruit mid-December, the capsicum took a long time to recover and is only just flowering again now. I'll probably only get a few from the plant.

I had a similar problem with my zucchini. I got 3 off the vine - the rest died without the female flowers ever opening. I planted new zucchini about 10 days ago. It may or may not stay warm enough for the next 2 months for me to get a crop. Sometimes we're still getting warm weather in April and sometimes it's already cold then.

We get the heat waves every year, but how it affects the harvest depends on exactly what stage the plants are at when they occur and that varies from year to year. This year the "summer" heat started in September. Last year it was October. Because we had a la nina event, it was supposed to be milder in Jan/Feb this year but apparently the weather didn't get the memo.

I haven't had any snakes in my back yard but it's not uncommon for them to pass through in summer. I do get a lot of skinks. They love hiding out among the pot plants for both water and shade.

We don't get snow where I live but I'm relatively close to the mountains so when they get snow we get very cold winds. We average 10 days a year where the minimum temperature is <2 C (so frost).

Our problem isn't really the heat or the cold, it's that Sydney has frequent, extreme temperature fluctuations - especially around autumn and spring. Further north and much further south, the averages are hotter and colder respectively but the climate is much more stable. A single day of extreme variation doesn't seem to harm plants much but Sydney doesn't tend to get a single day of extreme heat or cold out of season - it gets several in a row and that's when plants take a real beating.
    Last edited by lolie; 24-02-2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lolie View Post
      We average 10 days a year where the minimum temperature is <2 C (so frost).
      10 Days?...............How do you cope?..............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi Lolie and welcome.
        Many moons ago I lived in Sydney as a £10 Pom
        I don't remember much about the weather apart from sunning myself on Bondi beach and it was warm enough to go to work on the bus barefooted. I've always been nuts
        I also remember shaking "hands" with a kangaroo at Taronga Park but that has very little to do with the weather or gardening
        Its really hard to relate to your weather now, living in sunshiny Old South Wales, especially when we are 6 months adrift in the seasons.
        Are there any local gardening clubs?

Comment

I'm a massive fan of pumpkins. Have been growing them on my allotment for a few years. Last year we even made pumpkin wine! Love them roasted, in soups, muffins and mashed with potato. Still have 2 left from Octobers crop. Will be growing 4 or 5 varieties this year.

Oh and welcome to the vine!
          Last edited by donnakebab; 24-02-2016, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            10 Days?...............How do you cope?..............
            Autumn and winter are my favourite seasons. They're both all too brief here. Despite growing up in a desert region, Sydney heat destroys me. Sydney's not as bad as the tropical areas, but it's still very humid.

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Are there any local gardening clubs?
            We have quite a few community gardens but politics makes them not fun at all.

I took some photos but the light outside is very bright at the moment so I may need to take some more later.

My strawberries. I wish these would die back so I can put them in a winter container but I can't bring myself to pull them up while they're still producing fruit. I cut them back severely a week ago. I started summer with a handful of plants. They multiplied at the crown in early summer and have been sending out runners for weeks now.

The Lazarus capsicum. This got 3 flowers mid December and aborted 2. I picked a single fruit a couple of weeks ago and was going to pull the plant. It now has 15 flower buds.

These plants are on or near the verandah at the front of my house. My house faces north, so this is the part which gets sun for the most hours and the most intense sun.
            Last edited by lolie; 24-02-2016, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Here are some button squash and zucchini direct sown 11 days ago. The silvering is heat stress from which they'll easily recover when it cools down in the coming days. I'll thin them to one plant when it's cooler.

The sunny end of my "plot", where most of my containers live. Were expecting 41 C today so the blind is down to provide shade for my herbs.

Comment

A very warm welcome to the forum, dear Lolie
                Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

On my verandah, in the shade, right now.

We're not due to hit our maximum temperature for another 4 hours.

I haven't got the hang of the like button yet. I'm not used to forum having like buttons and it's on the opposite side to the Facebook like button so I don't notice it most of the time.
                  Last edited by lolie; 25-02-2016, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Hi there...and welcome to the Vine!

Loving seeing your piccies...it's giving me hope we'll have a good summer ahead
                    Last edited by Nicos; 25-02-2016, 06:28 AM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

On the plus side.................you're heatin' bills will be low...........................Do you have coolin' bills?
                      Last edited by Bigmallly; 25-02-2016, 08:25 AM.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        On the plus side.................you're heatin' bills will be low...........................Do you have coolin' bills?
                        I usually get one largish winter bill and two horrendous summer bills.

Electricity is relatively expensive here and I wonder how I ever survived the majority of my life without air conditioning, but it's a luxury I'm willing to pay for now.

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X