Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackarmy
    replied
    Welcome Lyndsey, hit the toms and you certainly wont be buying any for at least a good few months, add some chillis and herbs and youll make enough sauces to "can" or freeze to last you the 12 month, nevermind all the fresh off the vine ones ( cherries espescially) that you will nibble on all day .

Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• Florence Fennel
    replied
    Hi Lyndsey and a very warm welcome to the Vine. You'll find growing tomatoes quite simple if you follow the advice on here. Good luck with it all

Leave a comment:

• LyndseyP
    replied
    Wow, what a warm welcome Thank you all!

I definitely won't have chickens within the week....I find them a bit terrifying!

It's probably not a great time for me to get hooked on growing, with a full house refurb to do (the only way we could have afforded such a garden :P), but I'm going a bit stir crazy indoors!

We do eat tomatoes but never buy fresh, weirdly. We tend to cook with passata/tinned/tomato paste. Not to mention, I have it in my head tomatoes are hard after seeing a few failed attempts by my mum....although she was known for her ability to kill plants with ease. Hopefully, I haven't inherited it.

Leave a comment:

• Small pumpkin
    replied
    Welcome to the vine
    I give you about a week before you're addicted to seed catalogs and a month before you've got your first chickens
    Have fun

Leave a comment:

• cariann88
    replied
    Hello and welcome

Leave a comment:

• Verinda
    replied
    Hello Lyndsey, welcome to the forum

Leave a comment:

• Knight of Albion
    replied
    A very warm welcome to the forum, dear Lyndsey

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    Hello Lyndsey,welcome to the forum

Leave a comment:

• plam
    replied
    Hi!

Apperently all the bananas we buy in the UK are decended from the plant grown at Chatsworth, so you can grow them in derbyshire

Leave a comment:

• Chris11
    replied
    Welcome Lyndsey

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Welcome

: Hi!
    My only tip is be prepared for anything, when it comes to this outdoorsy thingy!
    Grand plans of what you've planned and what actually turns out vary - saying that tho' there can always be the odd surprise that makes you happy!
    Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    Hi, Lyndsey, and welcome. A 300ft garden, wow! lucky you, room for everything! You've already got the right idea, which is - grow what you eat. It amazes me how many folk grow stuff then say they don't know why they grew it as they don't like it

There's loads of good advice on the vine, and any question you ask will get a considered and helpful reply from someone (of course you may get a few daft ideas along the way too, but that's the fun of this place )

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi and welcome to the vine

If you are looking to save money you may fail - veggy growing gets a bit addictive - there are all the seeds and ones you didn't realise you needed, then there is the greenhouse, the polytunnel, the heated propagater, the grow lights......

Less chemicals is a def.

It is a nice outdoorsy hobbie, however be warned it may send you nutty and the peeps on here are a good example

Have fun and enjoy

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Originally posted by LyndseyP View Post
    At present, our weekly shop always includes fresh strawbs, rasbs, blueb/blackbs, apples, bananas, pineapples, butternut squash, sweet potato, spinach, potato, carrot, green beans.

In an ideal world, I'd like to grow all of the above, but am sure that Derbyshire doesn't quite have the climate required for bananas :P
    Hello Lyndsey and welcome to the vine Your list is do-able here in Derbyshire but you'll struggle with the bananas and pineapples they both need a lot of heat.

Leave a comment:

• Lumpy
    replied
    Hello from me as well.

Your garden sounds like it will be fabulous...............you are on the right site here as everyone is willing to offer advice etc.

And..................pineapples are possible if you don't want huge trees and lots of fruit!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X