Hello from sunny Cornwall

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaaah....yes...I was kind of right!
    I enjoy your blog which is where I saw the blue barrel and your amazing dome!

Really glad you've joined...you have fantastic projects!
    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks Muddled

I always like to have a project or two on the go.

The next project is probably going to be the sump tank and fish tank for the aquaponics and the heat recovery system for the dome.

It gets very hot in the dome in the day time so I plan to duck the warm air down through the water to warm the water and cool the air.

Then at night the water will slowly loose that heat back out into the dome.

That's the theory anyway

paul

Comment

Oh wow...want one ...want one!!!!!: D

Just wanted to give you a huge welcome to the Vine ...looking forward to reading and seeing more posts!

A couple of those domes would look great in my field!
        ( how aerodynamic are they??.)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

A very warm welcome to the forum, dear Paul and Jules.
          Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
          Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            ( how aerodynamic are they??.)
            They are very stable in a wind. They never present a flat side to the wind so cope much better with wind than either tunnels or greenhouses.

paul

Comment

PS: A fantastic domed greenhouse, dear Paul. On the functional level, the extra head room/growing height is a great advantage over conventional greenhouses. And the aesthetics - quite wonderful!

One for 'Dragon's Den'!
              Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
              Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you. Yes the height is great (3 metres) and because of the wooden structure it is easy to fix wires for vines etc

paul
                Last edited by Tiny Allotment; 08-08-2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

and another question- if I may?

What do you do for ventilation?

We hit 40C in the summer and I wouldn't want to bake everything....

Comment

Hello Paul and Jules, welcome to the forum your dome looks amazing!
                    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Welcome to the vine, enjoy the benefits of the advice and humour

Dome looks great

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine

Your blog is great, I enjoyed being nosey

Comment

Thank you all for the very warm welcome.

In answer to the question about ventilation we are going to tackle the heat in two ways.

First we are going to have a heat recovery system where we take the hot air from the top of the dome and duct it down through the sump tank and the fish tank of the aquaponics system and back out into the dome. This will store the heat in the water so it can be released back out into the dome at night.

Secondly we will have a couple of automatic vents near the top of the dome and a series of vents on the north side of the base boards. This will be a last resort if the dome overheats. I do not want to loose the heat if I can help it.

paul

Comment

Hello Paul and Jules and welcome to the vine, I love reading about peoples plans.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny Allotment View Post
                              Thank you all for the very warm welcome.

In answer to the question about ventilation we are going to tackle the heat in two ways.

First we are going to have a heat recovery system where we take the hot air from the top of the dome and duct it down through the sump tank and the fish tank of the aquaponics system and back out into the dome. This will store the heat in the water so it can be released back out into the dome at night.

Secondly we will have a couple of automatic vents near the top of the dome and a series of vents on the north side of the base boards. This will be a last resort if the dome overheats. I do not want to loose the heat if I can help it.

paul
                              sounds like a really good plan.

I love this recycle/recovery idea.
                              Our daughter lives off grid completely so I always watch out for ideeas to make her life easier- and, hopefully, when we have more time try to apply some of the ideas here!

you've REALLY whet my appetite about having a couple of domes in our field. OH wants a polytunnel, but they are a tad unsightly for a conservation area- and the greenhouse idea is a concern as we occasionally have such high winds in winter .

* wanders off in a bit of a dream at the thought of having a couple

( need to check on local planning regs cos they're a bit weird over here....)

Comment

Hello Tiny & Mrs Tiny, welcome to the Jungle............Great Dome by the way.
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X