Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to gardening and need tips and advice please ...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture links don't work

Comment

Hello Andy - well done on getting your plot. The only thing I can add to the above is make sure you take a flask of something hot with you and some good energy biccies to keep you going while you prepare your site. Other than that this lot on here are very very knowledgeable about everything so just ask away and someone will help you out.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

my new plot

This is my new plot could only get one picture uploaded as I am using my iPhone sorry guys lol
        Attached Files
        All My Spare Time Is Spent On The Plot .. Gardening Is What I Love To Do..
        sigpic

Comment

That looks in pretty good nick - congrats.

I'd spend some time thinking about what you like to eat, and then looking up when you need to sow the seeds for them. It gives you a bit of help in planning where things go and probably a bit more lead time on the digging, if digging is the route you want to go. (some people go no-dig) ie spuds and broad beans can go out earlier in the year than squashes and sweetcorn, so if you're growing all those the ground for spuds and broad beans would need to be prepped first.

And you could always buy plants from the garden centre/diy store if the seed sowing goes south. The key thing is to enjoy it.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Hello Andy. How exciting!

Whereabouts in the UK are you? I think you can enter that info into your profile on here and then it will show up when you post. It can make a difference re what advice people give you.

If you are going the 'dig' route rather than 'no-dig' I would dig over a small patch now, get out all the stones and weeds, break up the lumps and plant some overwintering broad beans, like Claudia Aquadulce, and some garlic. Then you will be able to see things coming up very soon!

It is lovely to have something growing to spur you on.
            My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Hello everyone thanks for the help so far I'm taking it all on board by listening to everything you guys have to say and I live in Nottinghamshire ng17 postcode area and for some reason I can't add anything to my profile at the minute don't understand why but I'm on it now trying to sort it ...

I am picking up the keys tonight for the plot and I will be down there tomorrow after work and get everything marked out where I want things to go as I am going to build a little shed and chicken coop and them a troth for my compost..

Cheers Andy
              sigpic

Comment

Here is my plot as of 15/12/14
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Andy I'm not that far away from you over in Derbyshire
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Lucky you Andy, there aren't many new plots as clear as yours. I'm liking the Caravan.
                    Last edited by Bigmallly; 16-12-2014, 07:25 PM.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Really ?.

And it's not mine lol it's plot behind me I'm building my shed in front of that lol so It doesn't catch the eye of other people and makes it look better for my photos

I can't wait to get started on it but when I'm finishing work at 4:00pm it's dark and I can't do anything ... I think I got a good tip of a plot owner yesterday please anyone let me know if it is a good idea ...

Idea: he said to me to just concentrate on the bottom half of my plot all next year so like get my shed built and land seeded and put top half under cover all year and then start on it 2016 ???

Cheers Andy
                      sigpic

Comment

Did he give any reason as to why you should rest half your plot for a full year. Sounds a bit strange to me unless any poisons have been put down that you are unaware of.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

There are a 101 ways to work/tackle/approach your allotment what you are best doing is being honest with yourself and looking/finding what works for you

Comment

I think he said that just to keep my on top of everything and not let things get on top of me and that u take my time with every thing ...
                            sigpic

Comment

He's right in only doing a small amount at a time & covering the area you are not working is also a good idea but you may surprise yourself & have the whole plot ready by spring. Take a look at my album, I did it in 40 days.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...++40+days.html
                              Last edited by Bigmallly; 16-12-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Wow that's is a real achievement there
                                I am just wanting to start building my shed and chicken coop now but the day has gone before I know it but I am really looking forward to starting it and getting stuck into the challenge next year and I know I will be fine because I have you guys helping me along the way

Thanks so much Andy
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X