No announcement yet.

Newbie London needs planner

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome, I've recently acquired an allotment also! Trying to read up on as much advice as I can for next year! I've bought way too many seeds.....

Comment

Originally posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
      I've bought way too many seeds.....
      There can be no such thing as too many seeds

On an allotment for every plant you want....

Sow one for yourself,
      two to swap with neighbours,
      three for the pigeons
      and four for the slugs....

So, if you get 1 in every 10 sown, are you still sure you have enough seeds?
      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

You can never have too many seeds. Am on my third seed box already AND I saved a load this year which are still drying.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

How big - dimensions - is the plot?
          Shape and size will likely mean slightly different approaches to what you do.

In my garden I sepeate things off into rows that are 1.2 mter long, found the easy options was to use feather boards for fencing. I cut bits of treated timber to make small slots in and the feather boards slide in these. Very easy, low cost and I can see the rows easily.

I am guessing that you will forst be faced with a huge collection of weeds that will need killing/removing then the plot dug. That unfortunately tends the be the reality.

Assuming it is then get the weeds down and dig yourself a 2 foot strip, plant yourself garlic and overwintering onions in this (maybe a little late for the onions but at Wilkinsons they are cheap.

That gets you something in the ground that will show through in a week or two.

Then carry on the digging.
          Depending on the ground add cheap compost and manure. Compost for better structure, manure for the nutrients and organic matter. B+Q sell large bags of cheap compost.

Maybe pick up fruit bushes - blackcurrent, gooseberry etc.

For a plan, use paper, easy to change and different coloured pens.

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

well took some pics but the phone is playing up - will get some more - however, I have a small shed and fairly large tree behind it - overhanging apple tree just to the right of the shed - plot is south facing so this could be very welcome - have got 3 large raised areas and it all needs clearing but could be worse - so far have cleared a couple of these and heaped manure on top ready for spring - my bit of the plot is the bit with the small fence and there are also a couple of water butts all in all better than I was expecting so imagine there will now be many questions to follow re growing - many thanks all for the lovely welcome
              Attached Files

Comment

That looks like a cracking plot!
                It's going to be just lovely.

Those raised beds are a great place to start....clear them first so you've somewhere to get started and do the rest at your leisure.

Exciting init?
                http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

photo

south facing - small shed - water butts and free manure - if you get there quickly
                  Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X