Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its all new to me...

Hi All,

For the last few years I've always been thinking about growing my own fruit and vegetables but I have never had a clue where to start.

This year though I have decided to do it :-)

I'm currently weeding my front and back garden in preparation of planting something.

My logic behind it is I want to plant the things we'd normally buy a lot of. So with that in mind I've decided to plant King Edwards, leeks, onions and tomatoes - my neighbour has also said he'd give me some strawberries as well.

So what's the best way to do this?

I'm just looking for a few tips from experienced gardeners really.

Thanks

Martin

Originally posted by red_squirrel View Post
    I've decided to plant King Edwards, leeks, onions and tomatoes ...
    My advice to newbies is:

Plant what you like to eat (if you get a disappointment growing something you don't even like it can be a bigger turn off than something you do like!)

Grow what is expensive in the shops (for me that would not include main crop spuds). Soft fruit, Runner Beans (very high yielding, but relatively expensive, timewise, to pick)

Grow what has better flavour "fresh" from the garden - New Potatoes and Sweetcorn would feature highly on that list for me.

Grow varieties that you like (e.g. superior flavour) which you can't get in the shops (e.g. low yield, so farmers don't want to grow them)

Main Crop spuds (like King Edwards) are also at risk from Blight (which comes later in the potato season, so Early Spuds are usually out of the ground by then).

Only other thought is that pretty much all vegetable crops need full-sun, so best to choose a sunny spot in your garden.
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Welcome to the forum
      The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Hello Martin, I can't add much to what Kristen has already said so with that I will wish you a warm welcome to the vine.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi, Martin, welcome to the vine.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Hello & welcome
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Hello and welcome

One thing to add, don't be afraid to ask questions if a search on the vine doesn't get you an answer.
              When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
              If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Hi and welcome. Think Kristen has nailed it on the head for you. Grow what you eat and like.
                I grew courgettes last year. Did a load of seeds because my mom told me they were hard to grow etc. Well I had shed loads in the end the neighbours started to avoid me a bit cause I was always asking them if they wanted any .
                If you have a question or advice just ask plenty of people out there who will be able to give plenty of advice or point you in the right direction.
                sigpic

Comment

Hello!

I think Kristen gave wonderful advice.

My 2p: Grow things that crop in succession, rather than in big gluts, especially if you have limited storage space. Leeks are brilliant, because you can just leave them in the ground until you want some for dinner!

How to get started: clear a sunny bit that's not near any trees completely from grass turf and weeds. Double dig it. Add plenty of plant matter/compost/manure/a bit of fertiliser.
                  Split it in two bits. One for spuds, one for onions.

Go to your garden centre and buy some seed spuds and onion sets. If you want you can chit the potatoes, but there isn't really a need.

make some rows with string in one bit and put your onion sets in holes you made with a dibber. (this you can do right now!)

dig holes in the other bit, add a little manure/compost/fertiliser to each, add a potato and cover up. (this you might want to wait a week or two).

There! you planted stuff!

Now get some tomatoes started indoors
                  My allotment and cooking blog.

Comment

Welcome, Can't add to Kristen's advice other than to say good luck and for each thing you decide to grow ask here or look it up on you-tube there is so much advice on there. I also echo his comments on sweet corn, there is nothing better than to pick it and eat or freeze it within the hour, you just cant buy that. If your growing tomatoes outside they need a lot of sun or they wont get ripe before the frosts get them. One more thing, start a compost heap or use a dalek or two. As you are at home consider harvesting rain water in my opinion plants do better on rain water than mains water. Noviceveggrower has it right about over planting stuff you probably dont even use much, I too did it with courgettes, when ever I said good morning to a neighbour the reply came back "No thanks"
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Hello and welcome from me, too.

Kristen has indeed nailed it!!
                      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                        I grew courgettes last year. Did a load of seeds because my mom told me they were hard to grow etc. Well I had shed loads in the end the neighbours started to avoid me a bit cause I was always asking them if they wanted any
                        Wish I had been a fly on the wall !!
                        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I'm currently weeding my front and back garden in preparation of planting
                            What's your situation as per the sun? Veg & fruit really needs south or west facing gardens, definitely not north (not enough light)

I want to plant the things we'd normally buy a lot of. ... King Edwards, leeks, onions and tomatoes
                            If that's all you eat, then fine, and they're relatively easy crops to grow (just watch out for blight on maincrop spuds, and on tomatoes). Tomatoes usually need to be under glass in the UK, in order to ripen (they need warmth, day and night).

Spuds & onions are cheap to buy in the shops, so in future years you might want to grow more expensive crops, eg. fruit, salads, purple sprouting broc, asparagus
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm currently weeding
                              Don't waste your weeds, they're full of nutrients that your veg need. Compost it. Put your compost heap in one of the shadier parts of your plot, if you're at all short of space (give the light to the crops)
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X