Got my new allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Stu

I'm a newbie too and also have a tiddler of a plot. I don't really understand rods but mine is 6x15 meters.

Comment

Originally posted by Methe View Post
      Hi Stu

I'm a newbie too and also have a tiddler of a plot. I don't really understand rods but mine is 6x15 meters.
      According to my conversion app, yours is 3.6 rods.

Comment

Rods are easy. A square rod (or a pole or a perch) is 5.5 yards per side, which is almost exactly 5 meters. A standard full size allotment is 10 square rods, 250 square meters.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Hello methe

Welcome, have you got a green house or shed on the plot?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

No nothing yet. I got it at the end of last year and dugs out all the perennial weeds I could see and dug one bed in which I planted some onions and garlic sets. The rest of it I covered with dpm. Then it started raining..

This year I've just been digging a bit every weekend and then covering it back up.

Has yours got anything on it from a previous occupant?

Interesting about the rods sizes! Thank you

Comment

My plot was not used for 2 years while the council sorted out paperwork etc. there was nothing usable, which was good as I could design and plan from scratch.

Before my tenancy started the council cleared and strimmed the plot.

Comment

These are the pictures of my allotment. Not done a lot is a bit to wet.

Attached Files

Comment

ooh you've got a shed! That's a good start

Comment

Originally posted by Methe View Post
                    ooh you've got a shed! That's a good start
                    It's not mine it's the society shed😭. Mine is the little blue box next to the pallet compost bin.

Last edited by Stu8706; 02-03-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Ahh. Well a blue box is better than nothing. I've got a bin with a lid to keep my car keys etc dry. My tools are in my neighbours shed

What do the society keep in their shed?

Comment

I made it big enough to keep my spades, forks and a cooker and a kettle. What more does a allotmenter need (is that actually a word).

The society have 2 rotavators and the lawn mower for the paths. It also keeps the tools of the guys who have quit. They gave me a fork when mine broke. I seem to do more talking than digging being that close to the society shed.

Comment

I know what you mean about more talking than digging! There's only 20 or so plots on my site so it's not taken long together to know everyone. So far it's been about 40% digging 60% chatting.. I expect that's going to get worse in the summer

Comment

Hello all

I'm back!!! I have been away working for what seems to be forever. I went down the Lottie in all the rain yesterday to find the strawberries, onions, runner beans, pumpkins and of course the weeds doing well!!! No sign of the sweet corn yet.

I have a really helpful neighbour who keeps an eye on my plot while I'm away.

VC I owe you an apology for not getting my stuff in the post to you. Sorry mate work has been very busy.

I'm now off to York for 5 weeks on course so will take my propagator with me to us my time productively.

Going to start my salad items in York then drive them to Portsmouth to plant them. My plants will be well travelled!!

Stu

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X