No announcement yet.

Ok advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and thanks, everyone! Really enjoying all the input and tip-sharing. Thinking about all the exciting planting out keeping me awake at night.......seeds and bulbs coming out of packets at last after bad weather. Lovely.
    My new allotment looks like Cardboard City but it works a treat for easy digging after only a few weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by Raybon View Post
      My new allotment looks like Cardboard City but it works a treat for easy digging
      You probably won't need to dig it at all, just pull out any remaining weeds as you need the space for a crop

The soil under the card will be moist & full of worms ~ the worm tunnels aerate the soil for you, and digging will collapse all those lovely air tunnels
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds, but ground is totally grown over, matted and thatched with couch grass, mare's tail and so on! It has been untouched for two years now.....luckily I enjoy the digging ( cheaper than the gym!) and making it look good! Sorry so long between responses, am having difficulty learning how to navigate this site!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Forgot to mention I am in London, strange little area between playing fields, canal, and main road......luckily have stopped hearing the constant sirens! Heavy clay soil, seems to have its own weather system (i.e. Never coincides with regional forecast!)

Comment

Good luck with it all, Raybon - the Allotment and the Forum navigation. As a new iPad owner myself, all I can say is, it's much easier on a Laptop than using the app!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              Good luck with it all, Raybon - the Allotment and the Forum navigation. As a new iPad owner myself, all I can say is, it's much easier on a Laptop than using the app!
              Yippee! I get to reply to you! (I hope!) I am pretty technically challenged.........clearing going well, but took FOUR HOURS of digging to tackle 1 square metre patch of fat white roots and thistles, however a bonus is that the soil is now very crumbly and I doubt if a weed will dare to raise its head for a while. Though I know the weed seeds are just waiting for me to have a tea-break......
              The clods are going to their own compost heap, the weeds to make weed tea. What chances of the clod seeds emerging unscathed after a couple of years? Would appreciate advice!

Comment

Only just seen this (still having trouble navigating on the tablet). If you leave your clods out in the open, a good frost (if we get any) should break them up.
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

The App is great, for me anyway, I gave trouble with the 'Big Proper Site' on PC, I don't have laptop, I like the App on the Tablet, cos you can do 2 things at once, but that's just me.
                  DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                    The App is great, for me anyway, I gave trouble with the 'Big Proper Site' on PC, I don't have laptop, I like the App on the Tablet, cos you can do 2 things at once, but that's just me.
                    Go on, what do you mean by two things at once? I find the app a bit of a pain but then again I only have a tablet cos work gave me one and only use it as it's faster than my own net book but would always prefer a proper computer over the restricted version.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Watch TV, eat lunch, talk on the phone, that kind of thing. Maybe cos it is more restrictive, it suits me, right this minute I have escaped to another room cos, football is on, and the Tablet can of course come with me.
                      Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 23-03-2014, 03:30 PM.
                      DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
                        Watch TV, eat lunch, talk on the phone, that kind of thing. Maybe cos it is more restrictive, it suits me, right this minute I have escaped to another room cos, football is on, and the Tablet can of course come with me.
                        Ah, thought you meant things you could only do on the app and not on the full site. See what you mean now, yes I usually do all my internet stuff while half watching TV.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Raybon View Post
                          Loved the advice about setting off with new allotment, so decided to register! Good common sense, thank you!
                          Hi RAYBON and welcome i am not a new allotment owner but new to GYO
                          been reading on here for a while plenty of good info all the best
                          from calverley leeds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X