New (ish) allotment - Brighton

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome,

Did you mention polytunnel? Now would be a good time to sort that because you will be desperate for it quite soon, and the shed of course. Dont forget a comfy chair.
    As for weeding do a bit at a time but do it well, try not to become disheartened by the scale of things, cover as much as you can with cardboard to supress the little so n so's. keep taking pictures of your progress.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Thanks everyone! And Bill, i do intend to build a polytunnel if finances allow! I've started strimming the weeds and using the foliage to cover the ground & mulch down. Unfortunately, Brighton council have a HUGE rule book and one of which is no cardboard allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Wow! That rule would see me off. Carpet yes, but cardboard. Sheesh.

Do they allow you to use anything else to suppress the weeds then? I use black plastic to solarise weeds in the paddock, but it doesn't do anything good just kills the weeds. But if they don't like cardboard I guess they're against that too.....I'd prob sneak down at midnight, put the cardboard down, put loads and loads of manure on it, then loads of mulch, and dare them to get their hands dirty finding the cardboard.
        But I'm not good with rules like that
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Haha feral! They do allow the weed membrane & tarp, i think the concern from the council is certain inks/chemicals leeching from the cardboard (?) But i need to cost these things up, we're a single income household so need to prioritise what i can buy. But they even have a max size of paths in the rule book (which means i can only just get my little uns pushchair onsite!)

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X