Gardening for the eighty plus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening for the eighty plus

What suggestions for those with dodgy joints?
    I have light tools,a small trolley,not a wheel barrow,raised beds and a greenhouse.
    Watering is a pain so I try to keep the volumes low.Any other suggestion?

Set up an auto watering system from a mains tap or a raised water barrel if you can, by using seep hoses or similar. It'll save carrying it.

Comment

Hello BigV - Welcome to the Vine.

How big is your garden or plot, and whereabouts are you?

The only part of my growing that gets regular watering is the greenhouse, and for that I have to lug cans up the garden from the kitchen.

Comment

Hi BigV, and welcome. Fixing guttering around the greenhouse roof is a good idea, especially if you can spare space inside for a water butt and run the drainpipe into that, so your rainwater is already inside the greenhouse ready to use. Having the butt inside also helps to keep the greenhouse more humid.

Any weeds you have, just hoe them off or pull them out, and let them lie, they will compost on the soil where they are, no need to cart them about to a heap or bin (as long as they don't have setting seeds on them).

If you like to kneel to garden, get a pair of builders knee-pads. (I've seen them in garden centres now too). Much easier than carrying a padded mat around with you.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Hi BigV - my next door neighbour is a very sprightly 84 year old despite having a new knee joint fitted last year - he has replaced his grass with mono blocks and chips - in the front is a chip area surrounded by a border containing flowers and a few shrubs/roses and in the centre he has a variety of tubs filled with flowers - rear garden has tubs everywhere and hanging baskets along our communal boundary fence all filled with flowers- he waters everything using a hose and it is all kept in pristine condition

Good luck and enjoy whatever you do
          Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Hello, BigV, and welcome to the vine. I second Mothhawk's suggest of builders knee-pads. Best present anyone's ever given me!

Comment

Originally posted by Indigo23 View Post
              Hello, BigV, and welcome to the vine. I second Mothhawk's suggest of builders knee-pads. Best present anyone's ever given me!
              I'm not 35 yet and I think I'm going to get me a pair of these!
              http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Hello BigV and welcome. You don't need to be 80 to have creaky joints Years ago I gave my Mum a gardening stool - like this Town & Country Gardener's Kneeler and Stool: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors She no longer gardens so I have it now

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Hello BigV and welcome. You don't need to be 80 to have creaky joints Years ago I gave my Mum a gardening stool - like this Town & Country Gardener's Kneeler and Stool: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors She no longer gardens so I have it now
                  I bought something similar from Argos the other year and as I walked out the shop a chap said 'those are a godsend and everyone should use one'
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I had something similar, used it occasionally as a seat, occasionally as a stepstool, never as a kneeler. You have to keep standing up to move it along and the 'arms' or 'legs' of it get in the way. With kneepads you just shuffle along as you weed or whatever.

Gave it away in the end, it was taking up space in the shed.
                    Last edited by mothhawk; 27-07-2013, 08:12 PM.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

I suppose it depends on whether you are able to kneel or not. The arms/legs are great for hoisting yourself up when your legs have gone to sleep

Comment

I find watering with a watering can difficult, if I don't want to use the hose then I'm better with a 3lt milk bottle in each hand as then I'm balanced. I also like tools with long handles, to save a lot of bending or kneeling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X