Hi new allotmenteer from kent uk

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Steve and welcome!

I've only been here a month, making progress with my similarly overgrown plot. I've got some bits clear and planted but might have to do something to slow down the rest of it while I'm working my way across.

Carry on with pics as you go on, it helps you realise the progress you've made when things get a bit heavy. Make an album on your profile.

Oh and
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Couch grass has long white roots Couch grass / Royal Horticultural Society
    that's just an infant couch. The grown-up stuff makes big tough mats! I'll try and find a nice piece at the weekend and photo it...
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
      Oh and
      that's just an infant couch. The grown-up stuff makes big tough mats! I'll try and find a nice piece at the weekend and photo it...
      I'm trying to be gentle with Steve - not lob a great thick mat of couch in his face and scare him away

Comment

Hello and welcome Steve.

I like the sound of your plans for the lottie.
        When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
        If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          I'm trying to be gentle with Steve - not lob a great thick mat of couch in his face and scare him away
          VC - sorry I agree with Martin - this is couch grass on my daughter's new plot taken two weeks ago last Sunday - 2nd pic as it is now, taken on Tuesday last.

Good luck Steve - you can do it. A mattock or an adze should do the trick - I call mine a trencher because it makes a great job of digging trenches
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Sheneval; 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM.
          Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

wow good stuff think i will buy one at the weekend definately , i went up my allotment after work last night and it seems i do have couch grass :-( thanks for the tip. I will post some pics on how i get on. How do you break the soil up like in the picture ? just with a fork?

Comment

will a heavy duty one from b and q do the job? heres the link to it

B&Q Heavy Duty Grub Mattock With H Shaft, 0000003527290

Comment

Steve,

I am sure it would but when I tested one like it in our local store here it was a bit heavy for me and in any case I was looking for a large draw hoe rather than a pick like digger, as I wanted to use it for preparing potato trenches which it does splendidly, so I went on the Internet and found this on Amazon:

Silverline GT52 Digging Hoe - photo shows it compared to normal draw hoe

I actually found a connection to another online store and got it slightly cheaper because they reduced the postage which might be expensive at Amazon as this is still a heavy item for posting - all in all I paid less than £12. I see Amazon has now reduced the price from £13.
                  Attached Files
                  Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

thanks mate much appreciated ordered one today

Comment

No probs Steve - hope it works for you - I buried most of the couch grass clods face down in trenches about 3-4 feet deep - unfortunately you still have to hand weed the broken off couch grass roots and any others, but on a nice sunny day that is a relatively pleasant task - I found a 3 pronged grubber on hands and knees very useful as a lot of the roots attach themselves round the prongs and can be dropped into a bucket by sliding two fingers along the prongs - don't think I have seen the last of them though

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Hi my new tool turned up last night and tryed it for a hour and works a treat :-)
                        attached a couple of pics of my progress so far, not a great deal done but will have a full weekend to proceed hopefully this weekend.

in the middle in picture i inherited a strawberry patch so im digging round that until i can harvest and then will replant ready for nxt year :-)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Steve - looking good

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by stevekentuk125 View Post
                            the soil is very clayey to
                            No dig would be great for this.

Comment

what do you mean alldigging?

Comment

Enjoy the Vine and your allotment!
                                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X