Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eeeek ! Ive just moved house and its got 4 acres so I came here for help!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!!! ...............its so beautiful, Lynne. A walled garden, garden's bothy (I think) You and your family have a home I'd give my eye teeth for

Comment

Hello (again) & welcome .......... Beware of Nutters

You got a walled garden jelous moi ...... sure as heck am

Let me know when you have moved in & I will take you for a tour of some of the local garden centres
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I know! I'm very lucky. I just don't want anybody to think im showing off, coz im not. I need help because of its size. You can see me and wizzy on the walled garden quadrant pic and it shows how big it is.
        I do seriously want to say that im not trying to show off, I would hate it if anybody thought that. Im only showing pics to show you the enormity of the job ahead.
        Lynne x

Comment

Thank you, I'd like that.
          I'm a nutter too so I should be ok. Lynne x

Comment

Originally posted by wizzbang View Post
            I know! I'm very lucky. I just don't want anybody to think im showing off, coz im not. I need help because of its size. You can see me and wizzy on the walled garden quadrant pic and it shows how big it is.
            I do seriously want to say that im not trying to show off, I would hate it if anybody thought that. Im only showing pics to show you the enormity of the job ahead.
            Lynne x
            I didn't think for one moment that you were showing off, Lynne. I'm so pleased to have seen your garden and to know that you want to take care of it.
            Its a dream of mine, and some others here, to have a walled garden. I'd love to know more about the history of the house - if you could tell me roughly when it was built it would be great. I have some books on walled gardens as I've been doing research for some friends who have one. I love going there, imagining what it must have been like to live there in its heyday, when the gardens supplied all the produce for the house. Fascinating

Comment

It looks wonderful!

Comment

The house was built in about 1890 I think Chicken. The Coach house was added later but I think the Gardens and the Well have been there since the big house was built.
                I would love it if you could pass on some of the stuff you have researched. Its fascinating. For example you have the fronts and backs of all the walls around the garden giving different growing conditions on every one. Unfortunately there seems to be nothing at all apart from an old pear growing against one of the walls.
                Things might seem different in the spring as I see if things start popping their heads above ground.
                The walled garden doesn't extend past the quadrant, quarter garden so it isn't a proper walled garden, just a walled kitchen garden.
                Lynne x

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                I didn't think for one moment that you were showing off, Lynne. I'm so pleased to have seen your garden and to know that you want to take care of it.
                Its a dream of mine, and some others here, to have a walled garden. I'd love to know more about the history of the house - if you could tell me roughly when it was built it would be great. I have some books on walled gardens as I've been doing research for some friends who have one. I love going there, imagining what it must have been like to live there in its heyday, when the gardens supplied all the produce for the house. Fascinating
                Last edited by wizzbang; 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Have a close look at the walls - you may find attachments for vines, figs or fruit trees. In my friend's walled garden they found a metal name tag still attached to the wall - some sort of rose.
                  Good books for you would be the Victorian Kitchen garden and Flower garden - it was a series on BBC some years ago with Harry Dodson. The Victorian Kitchen Garden: Amazon.co.uk: Jennifer Davies: Books

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Have a close look at the walls - you may find attachments for vines, figs or fruit trees. In my friend's walled garden they found a metal name tag still attached to the wall - some sort of rose.
                    Good books for you would be the Victorian Kitchen garden and Flower garden - it was a series on BBC some years ago with Harry Dodson. The Victorian Kitchen Garden: Amazon.co.uk: Jennifer Davies: Books
                    I remember it well. I watched every episode. I'll treat myself to the books I think. Because I'm worth it lol.
                    There are some bits of rotted string and other tying up stuff. Spring will tell!
                    Lynne x

Comment

Got it, and a few others! Books are my biggest indulgence! Naughty me

Lynne x

Comment

A very warm, if somewhat belated, welcome to the Vine
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

^^^ From me too! It looks as though you are taking up the reins of a former garden lover Look at all they've done over the years (All the difficult bits hurrah!) Laying paths, building walls, now all you have to do is the good bits and the fun bits
                          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

& from me too! Wow! You are very lucky to have all that space, it looks amazing. Look forward to seeing piccies as the season progresses.

Comment

Some pic's I took while visiting today .....

The walled kitchen garden (with potting shed & well room on facing wall)........

Contains greenhouse & coldframe ......

Coldframe ...

Greehouse interior c/w Lynne & her constant companion Wizzy the puppydog .....

Attached Files
                              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

BB your a STAR, thanks for posting those.
                                Lynne x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X