Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new & planning a veg plot in South Donegal -- favouring no-dig from day 1.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back again folks with another query.
    My field is in Donegal in Ireland's North West. There's a strong slope (20%) and strong rainfall (1600-1800 mm a year). Now Permaculture folks suggest I make swales to slow the water down and let it infiltrate. However, others suggest putting in drains to facilitate the movement of the water off the site.

What's the middle ground? How do I know how much water is enough? How much is TOO much?

I suppose with water charges beginning in Ireland in a month's time, it's an interesting problem. Obviously, I don't want to have to use the hose in Summer, when I already have so much FREE water coming from the sky and off the road at the top end. Sepp Holzer, the German Permaculture superstar, would say make a pond or two. Sounds sensible.
    Thoughts anyone? Ecoboy

Comment

Hello and welcome. Sorry a bit late getting kids uniform yesterday.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ecoboy View Post
        Manure, compost and seawed is the name of the game. My back can't cope with much digging anyway.
        Bear in mind shovelling is almost as much hard work as digging.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
          shovelling is almost as much hard work as digging.
          I don't do either
          I site my compost heaps where I want the compost, eg in the middle of a potato bed. They get moved around the plot.

Most of my old plants, weeds & green manures just get chopped up and dropped on the soil as a mulch ~ it's much faster & easier than compost heaps

Attached Files
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X