New Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Allotment

As ground has been frozen for last couple of days unable to make any further progress in clearing the weeds, However temperature was above freezing today so was able to put in a couple of useful hours and get rid of two more bages of weeds. see pic.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sheneval; 13-01-2013, 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Looking good young man.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

New Allotment

Thank you - It was a bit frustrating being unable to work despite the weather being sunny almost every day - when I started this morning clearing the weeds, my left hand quickly became frozen - luckily I had an hours break at lunch time and by the time I returned at 1300 the soil had warmed up and whilst there were still some rock hard clods most of the soil was easy to work, if somewhat wet.

The next two days temp looks higher than the last few so I am hopeful I will finish the one side of the plot by early next week ??????? This will allow me to lay out that half with beds and paths
        Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

So much progress already - I've just looked back at your previous photos Hope you have a few sunny days - if not, buy yourself some warm gloves!!

Comment

New Allotment

Veggie,

Good advice but I already have several very muddy pairs - I find separating the weeds from the soil with a glove on means discarding more soil particularly if the soil is wet - much easier using a bare hand - it warms up after use and prevents clogging up the glove/s

Curses! - the weather forecast has changed since last night and we now have rain all day

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Hi Sheneval, I can't garden in gloves either - unless my hands are muddy I don't feel that I've done anything! The only exception is pulling brambles and nettles where I've learnt the hard way!
              Hope your weather improves - at least rain tends to be warmer than snow

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Hi Sheneval, I can't garden in gloves either - unless my hands are muddy I don't feel that I've done anything! The only exception is pulling brambles and nettles where I've learnt the hard way!
                Hope your weather improves - at least rain tends to be warmer than snow
                Managed to get up for a short period yesterday between showers and then again today for over 4 hours although about an hour was taken up chatting with a couple of fellow allotmenteers

However, overall progress was good - see pic

I can see the end in sight for the first half of the plot with only about 6ft/2m to go

I have covered the ground with plastic shheeting/fleece as we will have frost tonight with sun tomorrow.see pic
                Attached Files

Nutter by Nature

Comment

It looks fantastic - I can't believe you've achieved so much in such a short time
                  Have you planned what's going where yet?

Comment

It looks fantastic - I can't believe you've achieved so much in such a short time
                    Have you planned what's going where yet?
                    I have been pretty lucky with the weather and my weeds were mainly top 2 inches ones

Not made any real plans as yet - I want the whole plot cleared and ready for planting by springtime - I plan to have 5 beds, with 4 main ones being used for rotational purposes and the smaller 5th one for rhubarb, currents etc. with paths in between.

I have to leave about 18" round the outside edges to allow half height for cages etc. so will use this mainly for flowers.

I already have overwintering onions on the grandkid's plot/s and may have the use of a quarter plot adjacent to same where the girl is back at work and wants to share her half plot to save giving it up - if so I'll put in potatoes there as my own plot has two lots of potatoes in different parts - I must have dug up and disposed of couple of stone of very small ones so far.

Otherwise I will mainly follow whatever my friends on the adjacent allotments do paying defference to superior knowledge - if it works for them

Nutter by Nature

Comment

It looks fantastic
                      I agree, very well done. Hope the weather allows you to do the other half before spring time.

Comment

New Allotment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                        I agree, very well done. Hope the weather allows you to do the other half before spring time.
                        Thank you - nice of you to say so

The ground being hard with frost was a bit of a surprise as my gardening is normally over by now but the plastic seems to do the trick with only the top inch or so presenting any problem.

As you will be aware we don't get snow here any more than 3 or 4 days in the winter even when other areas are closed off and it rarely lies so I am hopeful, but then again I am always hopeful

Nutter by Nature

Comment

New Allotment

As I had hoped the plastic sheeting and fleece had prevented the ground from freezing apart from the odd bit - to make matters even better my chess playing friend and fellow allotmenteer and his good lady turned up after I had been there about an hour to give me a hand, the result being that there is only a very little left for me to do tomorrow - see pics
                          Attached Files

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                            My son in law has just informed me that he is off Saturday & Sunday this weekend and is complaining I am leaving nothing for him to do - you have to see this guy shifting soil - he is so fast it is unbelievable - oh that the weather is suitable

Nutter by Nature

Comment

New Allotment

Lovely day today - Jim turned up again and we had the remainder of the first half of plot finished in 40 minutes - see pic

Unfortunately the overnight frost prevented the paths and beds being laid out as ground was rock solid. After measuring the area it looks as if I might get 6 beds instead of 5 and also a greater area for accommodating the water butt, compost bin etc.so I am well pleased

I now need a thaw to continue with this part of the work.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Sheneval; 13-01-2013, 11:36 AM.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

New Allotment

Didn't go up to the allotment yesterday as it was my youngest grandson's nursery nativity - not quite sure how Santa got in on the act but most enjoyable - see pic

Today was spent disposing of the bags of weeds created over the previous Monday & Tuesday and covering the 2nd half of the plot with plastic and fleece to get it ready for hopefully digging on Saturday. - see pics
                                Attached Files

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X