No announcement yet.

Hello from Cidermaker

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I planted 25 Dabinett and 25 Kingston Black in 2008. The Dabinett haven't enjoyed this season at all. Not only haven't they produced much fruit, but nor have they produced many leaves. I've spoken to a few cider makers who've experienced the same with their trees this year.
    My Kingston Blacks have been very vigerous and have grown well and produced a goodly amount of fruit too. We picked and pressed the Kingston Blacks last weekend.
    Two years ago, we planted 10 Michelin and they've produced fruit this year too. Unfortunately, they weren't ready to be picked, otherwise, they could have gone in with the KB's.
    I have 55 more cider trees on order for planting this coming winter.
    I have about the same amount of trees in the orchards that are either eaters or cookers.
    We don't live in a cider growing area, so getting hold of cider apples locally is not possible. What I do, is to blend 30% cider from cider apples with 70% cider made from eaters and cookers. It works pretty well and this summer was the first one where I sold my cider commercially. I supplied four local pubs and sold it from our own place using temporary events licences.

Comment

Please be gentle. It took me ages to work out how to update my profile but try as I might, I haven't been able to work out how to give myself an avatar or a signature. Help

Comment

Well done on the location bit!! For the avatar and signature go to Settings, then scroll down to My settings and you'll find avatar etc there. Good luck

Comment

Sorted. Many thanks.

Comment

Hello Cidermaker, welcome! I joined a couple of months back and have learned a lot from this site, loads of apple information if you search.

Comment

Hmm... I like pear cider too. My pear tree produced 10 pears this year!! Was just a bit thrilled. Last year I got 1! So looks like in another few years at this rate of fruit expansion I might be able to squish a glass of pear cider! Welcome by the way, it's lovely on here!! I've just noticed I'm a seedling hurray! Not sure when that happened! What'll I be next? And also, when do I change? Is it based on time/postings?
              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Its number of posts, Ancee! They change quite quickly in the low numbers but I don't know what the tipping point is It'll be a surprise

Comment

No such thing as pear cider.....its perry! (nice stuff too!!)

Comment

Hello Cidermaker. Welcome to oiur world, I have just inherited 2 apple trees myself, variety unknown, and will be looking for advice on the cider thing very soon. Lleyn is very much wetter than Greenwich, but I'm sure it won't make much difference to the apples/cider - will it?
                    Where there's muck, there's brassicas

Comment

Hi there Cidermaker and welcome
                      I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans

Comment

Hi Sue. Its nice to a familiar face.

Comment

northepaul is is perry really? That's the begining of my surname!! Peri! Ha Wonder why I liked the stuff so much!!

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Veggiechicken thanks for the reply btw I actually don't know what I started out as though! Think I was a germinator first!

Comment

Looking at the Grapes above you, Germinator seems to be first, then Seedling and Kestrel at 96 is also a seedling. So maybe the change comes at 100? Keep posting

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X