Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nooby! :-)

Hi all.

Joining from not so sunny Sunderland. I tried a 4ft square garden last year and successfully grew tomatoes and peas on it. I had a stab at onions, brocolli, carrots and leeks which were less than successful and some strawberries that were, well, ok. But I am not deterred! My daughter and I enjoyed ourselves so much I am moving up to a no dig raised bed to try and try again!

Below is a pic of the garden and you can see the remains of the 4ft garden in the left of the raised bed.

In the container at the back is garlic I planted in October last year. To the right is a small strawberry patch. Nearest the camera is some potatoes I've planted out, down the left you can see bocking 14 comfrey and some flowers my daughter was given (no idea what they are, but they survived the winter!). Top left is a Rosemary plant that is growing strong. I had purple sage, but it was ravaged by something last year.

The white board at bottom left is where next doors dogs went nuts for the fish blood and bone I had put down. I have some fencing I am going to dig in to help stop future occurrences.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steeli; 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM.
    I'm trying a blog, updated 3rd June

Welcome Steeli, well done for sticking at it and best of luck for this year's crops.
    Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Currently have on my windowsill: San marzano toms, peppers, jalapenos, cayenne chilli, dill, thyme, basil, salad rocket, leeks, spring onions and some flowers (Marigolds and foxglove at the moment).

The raised beds I intend to grow onions, shallots, carrot, peas, brocolli, and cauli.

I have enough timber to create extra beds, was thinking of a couple of square foot for a herb garden.

PS I have easy access to well rotted horse manure (wife has a horse, I get free from stable) and we have house rabbits (rabbit manure!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Snips View Post
        Welcome Steeli, well done for sticking at it and best of luck for this year's crops.
        Cheers Pa Snips, thought about growing some of them..... ;-)

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hi Steeli and a warm welcome from a perishing cold South Wales! Looks like you have plenty of space for a few more beds and lots of seedlings coming along too. Roll on salad time!!

Comment

hiya

I wouldnt bother with broccoli unless it was of the purple sprouting variety, because it's expensive, but it'll also take up a lot of room, 1 plant, 3/4 square meter], and the the cauli neither, because they are notoriously difficult to get right and also take a lot of room.
              You don't have a lot fo space there, unless you plant the broccoli outside of the bed and straight in the ground [nothing wrong with that]
              Have a look at square foot gardening....and hiya

Comment

Hi, good to have more grapes up here. A bit damp today isn't it?
                Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Steeli I grow in beds but mine don't have wood surrounding them just a path to separate each one.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Steeli. Looks like you have well and truly been bitten by the bug! Good on you.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Those mystery flowers look like wallflowers from here Steeli
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Steeli, it won't be long before you need extra beds.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello and welcome, Steeli.
                          My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                          Revelation 22:2

Comment

Hello Steeli welcome to the vine
                            Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                            Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                            -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Hi Steeli and welcome!

Try carrots if you haven't grown them before. You won't believe the difference in flavour Radishes are amazingly fast growing, if you want to get as much out of the growing area as possible. Beetroot is quite quick too, and all the salads too of course
                              Good luck and enjoy!
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X