Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helgalush View Post
    Hi Salazar and welcome.

I'm not sure if it will be the same, but the marigold you might be after is the pot marigold (also known as calendula) - this is the type of marigold that is safe for rabbits (herbivores also - I have several living here with me). I understand that French marigolds and African marigolds are NOT safe for rabbits so I assume that therefore it might be the same for your iguna, but obviously you will need to satisfy yourself of that.

I've found nasturtiums really easy to grow well, and the great thing is that its really easy to save the seed from them. The seeds will become obvious as they mature later in the season and all you need to do is go round collecting the seeds and allowing them to dry thoroughly. Then you are self-sufficient in nasturtium seeds!

I've also found plantain really easy to grow from seed, so hope you do too.

Thankyou for the warm welcome and it's nice to meet a fellow animal lover.
    Iguanas have a hindgut, similar to a cow or a horse, (I am assuming rabbit also) so yes it does make sense, alot of the foods I have strived to find in my research often mentions other herbivore animals including iguanas, so it is reasonible to assume that what they cain eat is one and the same!

of course I will double check but thankyou very much for the response.
    How easy are marigolds to grow? do they need anything specific? can I grow them in trays or as the name suggests pots? will they grow indoors in the winter?

Oh and also do you know where I can buy the seeds?

would be most greatful if any of those could be answerd, complete noob with growing lol.
    Last edited by Salazar Slytherin; 03-01-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

You can get nasturtium seeds from B&Q, garden centres, gardening catalogues or websites. They are really easy to get hold of and really easy to grow.

I'm not so sure about the pot marigolds, I tried them last year but they failed for some reason, I am not 100% sure what I did wrong, its possible the seeds were eaten by birds before they germinated, as I sowed them direct. May be easier to start them in modules and then plant out. I know from the top of my head that Thompson and Morgan sell calendula as do the organic gardening catalogue, I should think you can get them from most places though.

Plantain seeds I've got from rabbit-related websites.

Comment

a few pt dandelion plants are always handy. They are tough as old boots and can be cut right down and re harvested. Also swiss chard grows very well and will cut and come again. I Grow both for the chooks. I also help other allotmenters by removing their dandelions and fat hen which grow like weeds among their potatoes. This may be an idea for you?

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone, a bit late replying I know... my net has been funny lately and I have been tied down with work and such.

Anyways I wanted to share with you some pics of my beloved Albus and he shows his gratitude with the suggestions offerd with his tummy.

Hope you enjoy them.

Comment

Albus is so cute - and very well-rounded!! Thanks for sharing him with us.

Comment

~What a handsome fella
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X