Hello! :-)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! :-)

Hi all, I'm 21 years old and this is my first ever attempt at growing vegetables - ever!
    I used to "help" my granddad in his garden with I was about five, with rhubarb, runner beans and tomatoes, but I can imagine I was more of a hinderence than an actual help.

I'm currently growing:
    Tomatoes - Moneymaker, Gardeners Delight, Beefsteak and Alisa Craig Varieties.
    Runner Beans - White Embargo
    Strawberries - Gorella, Honeyoe and two other varieties I can't remember
    Carrots - Nantes 2 & James Scarlett Intermediate
    Pumpkins - Mammoth Variety
    Sunflowers - Russian Giant (I know, I know - not a vegetable)

I first began in April this year (2011) with Sunflower seeds and after a few trips to my local gardening centre became a little engrossed with watching seeds turn into plants, and then finding somewhere for them to grow. It's resulted in a bit of a hodgepodge of methods ranging from sellotaping hurriedly bought 3ft bamboo canes together as supports for runner beans to using bits of old string to keep the canes upright.

I can imagine I'll be asking a lot of beginners questions on these forums over the coming months, so be warned for some somewhat naive mistakes!

Any and all advice is always welcome, especially with regards to what I'm currently growing, so if you've got any tips or tricks, don't be afraid to share
    Garden Chris

Hello, welcome to the forum (where'd you other post go? - made me look daft! *stares at G4* )

Comment

Well it was an Uncle of mine that I used to help but I think that is how most of us start. Anyway, welcome to the nut house, hit the search button first as questions are repeated every year. Biggest tip is to keep a log of your work. What seed, when planted, crop size and most important- taste! No point growing rubbish two years on the trot.
      Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Chris, welcome to the Vine. Could you put your location into your profile please? That way it will show up on your posts and saves us having to keep asking you.

Comment

Hello, and welcome to the Madhouse!

* Mutters: Berlimey - A 21 year old that can spell! What is the world coming to!?
          Last edited by Glutton4...; 23-06-2011, 04:09 PM.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Chris
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the Vine from me too Chris. We're a friendly bunch, so don't be afraid to get stuck in!

Comment

Welcome! I'm newish too and everyone here is really helpful and friendly. Good luck with your growing efforts
                Visit my blog if you dare! www.gardenofheathen.wordpress.com

Comment

Hello Chris and welcome to the Vine - you'll love it here, I do

ETA:
                  nice blog, great writing style - and you'll be able to make loads of chutney, soup, pata sauce etc. with all those tomatoes
                  Last edited by scarey55; 23-06-2011, 07:25 PM.
                  A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                    * Mutters: Berlimey - A 21 year old that can spell! What is the world coming to!?
                    Its funny you mention that, personally, I dislike text language. I find it much easier to actually type the word rather than an abbreviated version of it. It may have something to do with me doing an English degree (Im awaiting my third year results).

Garden Chris

Comment

Welcome GC. Easy reading blog so I will be sure to stay tunned in!

Good luck with the toms and other veg. I am sure your impending glut of toms will be welcomed by your fellow students

Google Image Result for http://www.1000funfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/La-Tomatina-Festival-in-Spain-520x349.jpg

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Hello and a very warm welcome to the Vine!
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

And hello from me.
                          http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
                            Good luck with the toms and other veg. I am sure your impending glut of toms will be welcomed by your fellow students

Google Image Result for http://www.1000funfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/La-Tomatina-Festival-in-Spain-520x349.jpg
                            Haha!

Sadly for them, my girlfriend has marked them all for her own recipes. I must admit, whilst not a particular fan of tomato's in their 'original' (if you like) form, I have a very large soft spot for tomato based meals. As mentioned earlier, things like, pasta sauce, chutney and soup.

On a side note, thanks very much for the warm welcome everyone, very much appreciated.
                            Garden Chris

Comment

Hello and welcome,

Definitely second the idea of keeping a log (I do) but I also record stuff like:

When the first flower of the various pumpkins and squashes appears and what gender they are - the first year I grew pumpkins, the only flowers I got for ages were female and not a male flower in sight. Visions of no pumpkins for the reetlets at halloween haunted my every waking hour (well ok that may be a slight exaggeration but I was worried). I now know this is perfectly normal behaviour and can look back over my logs to see when the first flower of the other gender appeared and when the first fruits set. This year, the winter squashes have an abundance of males at the moment but I know the females will show their sunny faces eventually; and

When the first bean flowers appeared and whether or not they set, so when, like this year, the first bank of flowers didn't set, I bided my time and now the first runners and french beans are growing nicely.

Another important thing to know is that veg can't read and aren't, therefore, aware that they're supposed to be a certain shape, colour or length because the EU (or various celebrity gardening books) say so .

Good luck with your growing
                              Reet
                              x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X