No announcement yet.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

I recently acquired an alotment in Blackburn, so any advice you can give me would be very welcome

Thanks in advance

Gordon

Hi Bulldog! this a a great forum with lots of lovely people to give loads of advice. I've just got an allotment too Happy growing !
    http://meandtwoveg.blogspot.com

Comment

Hello Bulldog and welcome to the vine from Jinny cat & me. Have a good look round I'm sure you'll find lot's of good advice. If not just ask .

Comment

Hi Bulldog

Hello and welcome - what kinds of things would you like to grow?

Comment

As a Newbie, and in my first year anything that is easy to grow any suggestions? I also have a greenhouse so Toms, Cumcumbers, pepers etc?

Comment

Strawberries!! tee hee

Seriously, I don't do a great lot to mine and still managed to have lovely fruit, especially from the polytunnel plants.

What about courgettes?

Comment

Potatoes and rhubarb!!...no allotment is complete without them!!
              Are there any fruit bushes??...you've just got time to get some in.
              Strawberries - got to have a strawberry patch!

I'd concentrate on simple ones and spend time getting your plot 'sorted'
              Last edited by Nicos; 22-02-2011, 10:55 AM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                Hi

I recently acquired an alotment in Blackburn, so any advice you can give me would be very welcome

Thanks in advance

Gordon
                Best advice I can give is to get out there and get the plot dug over as soon as possible. That way, the last of the winter frosts will have a chance of breaking down any lumps and clods for you and it will both aerate and help dry out the ground.

After that, put your feet up with a cup of tea and have a look through some seed catalogues. Best way to have some serious thought as to what you want to grow.

Personally, I'd be for putting a big chunk of the land into spuds in your first year with a liberal application of farmyard manure. Best crop for cleaning up ground and leaves it in perfect condition for next year.
                Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 22-02-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                  Best advice I can give is to get out there and get the plot dug over as soon as possible. That way, the last of the winter frosts will have a chance of breaking down any lumps and clods for you and it will both aerate and help dry out the ground.

After that, put your feet up with a cup of tea and have a look through some seed catalogues. Best way to have some serious thought as to what you want to grow.

then, in the afternoon......
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yups, I know I made it sound easy but I can be a little smug cos I was able to get my digging done at the back end of last year.

Comment

Hi there Bulldog - welcome to the vine. I look forward to hearing about your plans for your allotment.
                      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hi Bulldog welcome to the vine

Comment

Hello Bulldog and a very warm welcome to the Vine. It helps to put your location into your profile so that when offering advice to new growers we can take into account what your climate's like. We'll soon forget you're in/near Blackburn if you don't!
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X