HELP! Caterpillars...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Caterpillars...

Cabbage white Caterpillars and the weird mushy pea green ones are making serious inroads into my brassicas ... I planted enough to feed a small village thinking that with the promise of the recession of all recessions I would be able to hole up through the winter months eating nothing but kale, cauliflowers and swedes ...

Failing to cover anything with the miracle fine net stuff, I have no chance now of hand picking off the luminous squishy bastards as by the time I would have got to the end of one row, my crop would have been devoured.

Any suggestions regarding chemical control that is vaguely organic and that actually works would be very gratefully received and will be demonstrated by a promise of as much kale that you can eat ...
    peace of mind ... work the land ... connect with nature ... simple

Try searching for chilli and garlic spray - add in some washingup liquid and spray to your heart's content. The stronger the better for the horrid little caterpillars.

Then nip to Ikea and get some net curtains - and drape them over the top of your brassicas. under £3 for 2 of 2 m x 3 m lengths....I bought 6 sets a couple of weeks ago and they are fab.
    Last edited by zazen999; 08-08-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the madhouse - good luck with it all.

I second Zazen's recommendation of Ikea net curtains (Lill, I think!) cheap, robust and simple!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Yep, you can't grow cabbages without net curtains
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X