Hullo, another newbie :-)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hullo, another newbie :-)

Hi, I`m Ina, I live in the north west Scottish Highlands, and have just moved into a new decommissioned crofthouse with about an acre of rough grazing. I don`t have any livestock so want to turn an already fenced off patch of it, about 15ft square, into a vegetable garden to feed me, my hubby and grown daughter.
    Problems..well, I`m almost 50 and have arthritis and a heart condition, so can`t go overboard, hubby is disabled and so is daughter (yes I know, we sound like right old wrecks ) and the ground has never been dug over, and is a mix of machair grass and docks and nettles plus the ever present buttercup.
    Good stuff...the soil, judging by other homes scattered around, is very fertile and the climate is kind considering the geography.
    According to the neighbours one of the problems here in winter is deer getting into the gardens and plundering the veggies. I already have a deer fence around the plot, and just need to circle it with rabbit fencing (is like Watership Down here!)
    Does anyone please have any beginners tips for clearing rough ground in order to plant some veg next spring, or if I can manage to get it cleared over the next month or so, maybe some winter veg? Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks. Oh..I`ll be doing the digging!

Welcome Ina,
    Were you live sound gorgeous...I've got no idea how to clear such a wild plot of land, but no doubt some one on here will, they might even offer to help! But Good Luck with your veg patch, take some before and after photos, that way we can all see how your doing xx

Comment

Welcome to the vine.

Please enjoy your complimentary picture of a Mouse-Frog-Lobster, one day it'll be worth a lot of money...probably.
      Attached Files
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the madhouse!

Your place sounds just lovely. Good luck with the wabbits - glad we're not the only ones pestered by them!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Hullo, thanks for the welcome (and the mouse-frog-lobster! )
          I read a few of the other threads yesterday and followed some of the advice, so the veg plot to be is now covered in heavy duty cardboard to help suppress some of those weeds. It`s a start.
          Now I just have to keep the neighbouring crofters sheep from using the fence as a scratch post!

Comment

Welcome to the Vine, Ina. We have quite a few members in Scotland, and if you edit your profile to include your location it will show up on all your posts (this makes it easier for the rest of to give advice and saves you having to include it in every message)

Comment

hi and welcome to th vine i bet its lovely up there i hope you enjoy your self and learn from us all

One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until that day, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                Welcome to the vine.

Please enjoy your complimentary picture of a Mouse-Frog-Lobster, one day it'll be worth a lot of money...probably.
                I like that one.....are you an amature Mentalist or do you do it professionally.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Ina welcome to the Vine
                  My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                    I like that one.....are you an amature Mentalist or do you do it professionally.
                    If you can get paid for it I'm going pro!
                    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                    Snadger - Director of Poetry
                    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Welcome aboard Ina.

Did you happen to watch Monty Hall's Great Adventure? He lived in a croft house for a year, and tried to live as the crofters did way back when.

Good luck with yours, sounds lovely.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X