X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saffire

Hello all.

Can anyone out there help???
    After many years of dreaming and scheming I have finally acquired a field of my own to nuture. Spend last winter planting a native woodland and an orchard. This year I have set up some raised beds to grow veggies. Have left the rest of the land covered in 4ft high thistles, grasses and wild flowers to the birds and wildlife. So far so good. One thing concerns me though. I have noticed the 'wild area' is playing host to millions of small red cricket type invertebrates. I have never seen anything like them before. Cant indentify them from any of the usual sources. They dont seem to be causing any harm but I'd like to know what they are. Any ideas... anyone???

Welcome to the madvine Saffire, haven't a clue about the red crickets though....
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Saffire. Sorry, I've no idea what your little red crickets are.

Comment

Without photo can't help much, is there a possibility it could be lilly beetle???

Comment

I've found this site which is comprehensive seems there are many many types of grasshoppers

Grasshopper Species at Animal Corner.
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Anything like this?
            Tiny Red Cricket by *garion on deviantART

or have a look at these:

http://www.britishnature.co.uk/Grass...ets/Index.html
            Last edited by weekendwellies; 25-07-2009, 10:14 PM.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

Comment

thanks for the welcome. Had another look at the crickets and now I'm not so sure...they look like crickets but they fly!! dont think crickets actually fly do they?? I will try to get some photos posted. Thanls for all suggestions

Comment

Any progress on identifying your 'crickets' saffy?

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Welcome to the Vine...you are doing so good work.
                    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X