Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello ...new to growing Veg and will be asking some very silly questions!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello ...new to growing Veg and will be asking some very silly questions!

Hello everybody

Came across this site whilst googling and what a brilliant place to spend a few mins/hours reading up on everybody's wonderful advice.

I have now got my own veg plot in our back garden and I have so far successfully grown some pak choi which we ate this evening.

In my beds are

potatoes (doing ok for time being)
    Stump carrots
    sweetcorn (which I germinated in pots and planted out when 3 inch long 4weeks ago and I noticed that some are turning yellow and some have died)
    dwarf green beans - died, think it was too cold..how can you tell if it is pigeon damaged?
    Mangetout which have also died and I will be trying again soon
    beetroot which I planted in situ but seems to be taking forever to germinate

I also have 3 lovely hens.

Look forward to soaking up all your great advice and hopefully have a successful harvest of some kind.
    Kit

hello Kit and welcome to one of the best places on the net!
    you are now a Grape!

on teh subject of your 'failures' and SUCCESSES!
    sweetcorn shouldn't go out until it is about 6 inches tall and the last frost has passed - needs a lot fo water and sun
    that is about as much as i know

generally the frost advice counts for most things - whereabouts are you?
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Comment

Welcome to the forum Kit. Your sweetcorn was almost certainly planted out too early and 'nipped' by frost. Likewise the beans. (My plants are still in the cold frame and probably won't go in the plot for another couple of weeks.) Not too late to try again though. Mangetout - don't know.

Bird damage - usually nothing left except a stalk!!

I always sow my beetroot in trays and plant out when they are well established.

Don't apologise for asking 'silly' questions. We all need help from time to time and this is an excellent place to get practical advice. Keep at it - we all learned the hard way somewhere along the line!
      Last edited by Gwyndy; 12-05-2009, 10:19 PM.
      Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Hello Kit beetroot takes about a month to germinate . Most likely problem with other plants was frost should not be planted out till end of may. peas / mangetout should be sown from beginning of may beans about now in north
        Hope this helps

Comment

the most important thing Kit is that you are doing it
          you are growing stuff which is a lot more than most people

so congrats to you!!
          Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Hi and welcome. You will now spend more time here than in your garden - and become a virtual gardener!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Kit,
              Just as the others have said ... it's still too cold (at nights) for French beans and sweetcorn to be outside.
              June is the usual month for planting outside.

(depending where you are - could you put your location into your profile?)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

my sweetcorn is getting massive indoors though Two Sheds
                i'm not far south of you - do you think i couldn't plant mine out soon?
                Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Hi Kit,

Welcome to the Vine! I think we are all guilty of starting stuff off too early and falling foul of the weather, its the excitement factor of seed sewing! I have to sit on my hands til about April!!

You'll never ask a stupid question, you may ask one thats been asked before... and in that case, the other grapes or one of the mods may suggest a particular thread to help answer your query. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.

Hope you like it here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X