New to the forum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm a mum of 3 and I am a full time carer to my son. He has not been able to attend school in the past 18 months so everything is very full on with no respite. I started growing veg last year for something to do as I can't get out the house often. I felt it helped me stay sane and I found it so therapeutic. Over the winter I transformed by boggy patchy lawn to 5 no dig beds. I am growing roots, brassicas, legumes, potatoes, strawberries, raspberries and whatever i can fit into my greenhouse. Things are going fairly well so far and I am enjoying the learning that comes with it all. With everything going on at home, I don't have the chance to meet people with a passion for gardening and family find it amusing how obsessed I've become. looking forward to getting hints and tips and seeing what everyone else is growing Thanks for reading

Hello and welcome Blossom, I understand what you mean by gardening being therapeutic, it gives you a chance to concentrate on something else, plus the anticipation and excitement of seeds you have sown coming through, but don't forget if you are time restrained, you still get the excitement from growing on plants that you have bought, but I must remind you that there are times of disappointment, but in those times you say to your self the next time I will????? (fill in as required😏) I see you like to grow vegetables, are you also into growing flowers? if so, the advice that is given for fruit and veg growing can relate to growing flowers as well, and don't forget there are a lot of edible flowers available also, rather than rambling on the best piece of advice I can give you is, if you have a question just ask and from the knowledgeable folks on here you will get answers, enjoy your gardening and I hope you stay for a long time🙂
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Hi there Blossom - and welcome to the Vine!
      Looking forward to getting to know you better- and more than happy to help and share gardening experiences with you!
      Sounds to me like you are already doing wonders in your new veggie plot! Well done!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        I mostly try to stick to things that are expensive in the supermarket.
        All beans are over a pound for a little packet that can be produced several times over per week for most of the summer. You need a good freezer.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Blossom
          I'm also a back garden grower and its surprising how much you can grow in a few beds and really you can't beat the taste of home grown fruit and veg.

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Blossom, and welcome!

You can't beat fresh veg, and even if you suffer losses in some things, others reward you with good crops. I gradually narrowed down what grew well for me and what really was a waste of space trying to grow (carrots for example, hate my heavy clay). I grow in the ground though. With raised beds the options are wider because you have more control over the compost there.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Hello and welcome, Blossom.

Lots of good advice given by everyone there.

Sounds like you've been really busy turning your garden over to beds. Glad you're finding it therapeutic. Gardening really is one of life's great pleasures.

Best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

Hello Blossom,
                Welcome to the vine and the fun and frustrating world of gardening! It really is soul saving sometimes and when things go wrong, which they often do, well there's always next time!
                Happy gardening
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Hi Blossom welcome to the forum it is difficult finding friends who like gardening but here we all are make yourself at home & join any of the chats

Comment

Thank you all so much for making me feel so welcome. I look forward to getting to know everyone and thank you for all the lovely advice and encouragement Happy Gardening

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                      Hello and welcome Blossom, I understand what you mean by gardening being therapeutic, it gives you a chance to concentrate on something else, plus the anticipation and excitement of seeds you have sown coming through, but don't forget if you are time restrained, you still get the excitement from growing on plants that you have bought, but I must remind you that there are times of disappointment, but in those times you say to your self the next time I will????? (fill in as required😏) I see you like to grow vegetables, are you also into growing flowers? if so, the advice that is given for fruit and veg growing can relate to growing flowers as well, and don't forget there are a lot of edible flowers available also, rather than rambling on the best piece of advice I can give you is, if you have a question just ask and from the knowledgeable folks on here you will get answers, enjoy your gardening and I hope you stay for a long time🙂
                      Hi Rary, haha you are so right! I've made plenty mistakes so far, but it's been exciting to see what works and what doesn't and every day there's something to learn. I started growing flowers from seed last year and my partner bought me a beautiful gift bag of seeds at Christmas, so my kitchen has been looking like a jungle with seedlings and growing plants everywhere I find it fascinating and encouraging to see what can come from a single seed. Its been great for the kids too to appreciate how food is grown. Last year my daughter was forever pinching the carrots . I tried propagating some clematis and lavender last year, but to no avail. Thanks for the welcome and I hope I'll be here a while, especially with all the unknown about the magazine.......

Comment

Hello and a late welcome to you Blossom I started out growing flowers and herbs when my three children were young, then progressed to veg in pots. The passion then took hold and raised beds took over my lawns! This site has been invaluable over the years, both for advice on growing and the enduring friendship of its members. Enjoy!
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X