Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi. New member: long term project.

Hello all!

Just joined the forum, but you will rapidly see that I am not new to allotments. I live in London, and have an allotment on a fairly thin alluvial soil fairly close to a small river. This is my second allotment over the years. 99% of my allotment use has been for a long term interest in making elderberry and elderflower wines.

It's been quite a journey so far. My first elderberry wine, made from wild harvested berries turned out great. Then there were the wilderness years when I couldn't seem to repeat the trick before finally pinning down some solutions. The solutions were in how I sourced the fruit and also my making methods.

I found that only some bushes made good wines. In fact I learned that each bush/ or strain can make a unique individual wine. The bushes that seemed to be best were ones that produced berries that were fruity and bright on the tongue when picked raw off the bush. So this is where an allotment came in. I would identify a good bush and then cultivate it from cuttings on the allotment. Then I discovered that there are bushes that produce green/ yellow fruit that one can make white wines from. After some time I began to find some of these bushes. Again cuttings grown on the allotment have been a major help in exploring these white elderberry wines. Having said all this, the quantities of fruit have been pretty tiny. My cultivation techniques have not been great and until retirement 3-4 years ago I didn't have much time to do better. So now I'm working on scaling up in quantities of fruit produced. Some trial plantings along commercial grower methods have revealed a wide range of productivity among strains. The best by far is a commercial variety called Haschberg. I'm currently seeking to identify wild strains that have some or all of the qualities of Haschberg in fruit production.

On making the wines my ingredients are pretty simple - elderberries, water, sugar, yeast, nutrient. Many people comment on needing to age a high tannin product. I must say that I seem to have a solution to this, such that the wine tastes great a couple of months after completing the fermentation. The key seems to be to avoid exposure of the fruit to alcohol levels above about 8%. I ferment them to dryness with only a bit of added sugar. Then I remove the fruit and finish the fermentation with more added sugar. Temperature control is also a key part of my methods. You will note I haven't mentioned adding any acid. I used to but couldn't seem to make a smooth wine until I dropped the added acid. I am wondering if the fruit I am choosing by taste of the berry is already higher in acid than average. Acidity measurements this autumn should help make sense of this a bit more.

I'm aiming to experiment with production of pink/ rose elderberry wines this autumn. To do this my first thought is to press the juice off the skins before fermentation. Fermentation temperatures would be cool, as in a white wine.

Over the years I have now cultivated quite a number of black/ white/ brown/ and even pale pink elderberry strains.

I have also done a lot of work on how to make the best elderflower champagnes.

I'm happy to offer advice/ support for anyone else thinking to explore any of this. I'd be intrigued to see if anyone else is already or wants to grow elderberries on an allotment.

Rich

Hi Rich.
    Fascinating.
    Way back we made elderflower champagne and wine and it was very good. Then 3 children plus husband changed jobs - he was a teacher and had time in the summer to get the fruit etc.
    Now we make cider every autumn - usually enough to last the year although we ration it out!
    Its great to have a special and unusual interest as well as using a 'native' fruit - are elderberries native ?
    I like to make elderberry and local honey syrup for coughs and sore throats.
    look forward to reading more - best wishes.

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll post more in the fruit area of the forum.

Comment

Hello and welcome.

I don't make elderberry anything, I'm afraid. But I'll follow with interest. You never know, I might get inspired. It sounds fascinating.

Comment

Hi Snoop Puss,

I noticed you are from NE Spain. I understand that elderberries grow and thrive in Northern Spain. I think there are a few elderberry farms in the region. I remember decades ago that it was tradition to adulterate some Rioja wines with elderberries and I still recall a unique and beautiful wine I once sampled at a dinner that almost certainly had been made to this adulteration tradition. Since international authorities seemed to have outlawed the practice I am somewhat less impressed by Riojas, although still good.

Thinking back more recently, some of the elderberry wines I have made remind me of those old Rioja flavours.

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Rich - I have two elderflower trees - a bought Black lace and a self seeded.
            I’d never really thought about varieties but it’s logical now you come to mention it!

I’ve made elderflower champagne previously with both plants. Not tried anything else with the flowers….yet!
            I didn’t really enjoy the elderberry wine I made 30 years ago or more, so I never tried again - maybe it wasn’t the best bush variety to pick from whilst foraging.

Inspire me!
            Last edited by Nicos; 01-08-2022, 02:56 PM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Rich - I have two elderflower trees - a bought Black lace and a self seeded.
              I’d never really thought about varieties but it’s logical now you come to mention it!

I’ve made elderflower champagne previously with both plants. Not tried anything else with the flowers….yet!
              Hi Nicos, How were the champagnes? Were they similar or different o each other?

Comment

They were a mixture so no comparison I’m afraid.
                As far as fizzy wine goes, they were absolutely lovely!

Interestingly the only yeast I have seen here is bakers yeast so that may have changed the flavour a tad , but not obviously the nose. Having said that I’m a breado’holic so anything smelling vaguely yeasty/ bread like will always get my thumbs up.
                I used HFW’s recipe.
                Last edited by Nicos; 02-08-2022, 10:18 AM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

my extent of elderberry wine were some i made and stood on cold floor at my mums house and a few years after I sampled one of the demijohns of Elder and Damson and it was gorgeous - so I took a few back to my hose that we'd just moved into went back to find my mum had poured the lot down the sink and washed the demijohns up because " they were covered in fluff " !!!!!!

So not I just stick to the od bottle of cordial and some flower fritters but not too often

Welcome to the vine Rich ... I can see you'll fit in well here ...
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

I sampled one of the demijohns of Elder and Damson and it was gorgeous - so I took a few back to my hose that we'd just moved into went back to find my mum had poured the lot down the sink and washed the demijohns up because " they were covered in fluff " !!!!!!

So not I just stick to the od bottle of cordial and some flower fritters but not too often
                    Hi Nick,

Interesting that we both made a great first elderberry wine, followed by frustration. For me it resulted in seemingly a life long quest
                    Last edited by Rich59; 02-08-2022, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I think I'm quite pleased that a couple of you have mentioned the possibility of being inspired by the idea of growing elderberries. You know, I think maybe I was thinking to encourage others to try growing elderberries when I felt a need to come out of the closet and join this forum. So, perhaps I should work on a series of posts covering aspects of growing elders - from informative practical guides through to vision and potential? Is there any advice on which parts of the forum would be best to try this?

Comment

You might also find that the mineral content of the soil might effect the flavor too. Grape producers are for ever looking at the soil.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                          You might also find that the mineral content of the soil might effect the flavor too. Grape producers are for ever looking at the soil.
                          Hi Plot70,

You have reminded me that I didn't in fact start out sampling a few raw berries and then growing the bush. I started by making a wild grown wine from many bushes. Later I moved to making wines from single bushes with enough fruit for a small batch. Then I got around to taking cuttings and growing them on the allotment, then making the wine again. What was of note was that to my taste the wine from the wild grown and allotment grown seemed to have all the same tastes/ characteristics.

I'm sure you are right that cultivation - climate, soil, aspect, elevation, nutrition etc will all have some impact. There was one year with a particularly unsunny summer when one of my white elderberry wines came out a lot harsher and drier than I had expected.

The sugar content seems to respond to the amount of sun.

Comment

Hi again Rich59.
                            How much elderberries do you recommend for one demijohn? And do you recommend a particular yeast?
                            I discovered a wonderful hedgerow dripping with berries yesterday and it's right near me! I intend to back with a suitable container (bucket)
                            We have home brewing equipment already for making cider.
                            T.i.A.
                            ​​​

​​

Comment

Hello Rich and welcome, just reading through your posts which highlights how we all have different ideas re. gardening, today I whacked down quite a lot of elder tree branches from my hedge as it was getting so over grown, and the fields close by are, swamped with elder bushes, sadly this field was where I took my children sledging, but now impossible due to the growth of elder trees, I must admit I have never tried making elderberry or elder flower wine and doubt if I ever will now, but will try some if its free I wish you well in your gardening and wine making
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X