No announcement yet.

New adventure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking really good. Should give you lots of fun this year.

Comment

So all I'm left to do now is tape the edges and then add the polythene, I managed to get 1000gauge sheeting on a roll. Not too bad was £62 for a 4x15m roll. There is a window almost 2 meters long at the top and I will be adding more vents once the polythene is up and secured.

Comment

That’s looking amazing!

One thing has been niggling me and I wanted to share it with you in case you feel it’s appropriate to your build.

We are in very early stages of planning building a wooden patio on top of a large concrete base of a cattle holding pen.
        The sites I’ve looked at all seem to suggest that where the wood is in contact with the concrete it is likely to rot or will block the natural drainage of the pad causing puddling underneath and potentially rotting of the wooden base.
        It seems that very small pads of plastic- or rubber- or something similar , should be placed at intervals just to raise the wooden structure slightly off the concrete. I’m talking millimetres .
        If you felt your original build might in retrospect cause you drainage or potential rotting problems then could you perhaps tap something non porous in underneath from the side just to elevate the base a tad?

Its just a thought and might be worth looking into on the internet about the laying of wooden patios onto concrete before you attach the polythene?

Just a thought - and forgive me if I’m wrong but I felt I needed to at least mention my niggles…..

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi there , and thank you...no it's been niggling me too...intact that's a very good idea which I'll be incorporating most definitely. So thank you...the drainage has been a bit of a issue...the concrete has a slight slop on its self so I should suffer from pooling in that sense. However as you said with the frame in contact with the ground there would be the risk of pooling and rot, as the structure will be a further 6-7 inches down from off the base it's currently sat on I will be using pallets to level out that difference enough and for staging. I'm now on the mental hunt for something I can use as your suggestion is a superb solution. Thank you
          Last edited by Kris37; 10-05-2022, 04:27 PM.

Comment

No problem! Glad I mentioned it
            I’ve seen a few things online so worth having a look. there’s a tape yo7 can cut and small rubberised pads.
            Looks like you’ll find what works best for you - so do please let me know what you decide!

As for the slope- my concrete pad slopes too but I’m ok with that . Most of my house is wobbly wibbly anyway
            Last edited by Nicos; 10-05-2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Got alot done today on the greenhouse, managed to almost complete the polythene wrapping, just the door and about 8 lats to cut. Only had half the day on it...got into into place then realised I need to fit some lats ground height so will have to raise it to fit lol, but glad to finally have it pretty much sorted. Pictures will follow and then I can start asking for some advice and knowledge on getting going using it lol.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Very neat job! Looking really good.

Comment

Looking good Kris, that's a nice growing space
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Impressive Kris it won't be long now until you can start using it.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

So this weekend I managed to get her back into place for the last time and all that is left is the guttering and waterbut

My partners father bought me some pots and things aswell as some compost but unfortunately is not peat free so I wont be using it for growing with, he also handed me alot of seeds in packets.

The coming weekend I will be shopping for all the bits I need inside to get going

Comment

Originally posted by Kris37 View Post
                                My partners father bought me some pots and things as well as some compost but unfortunately is not peat free so I wont be using it for growing with.
                                Sorry for sticking my oar in, but that seems a shame, now it's bought. What will you do with it? Maybe you could just use it but give him a recommendation for next time?

Edit: missed the crucial bit: Lovely looking greenhouse. I'm positively green with envy. Best wishes for a great growing year in there.
                                Last edited by Snoop Puss; 22-05-2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X