Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Matt (Gloucestershire) No idea what I am doing :-)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Matt (Gloucestershire) No idea what I am doing :-)

Hi All,

I am Matt, I am in Gloucestershire and I am very happy to be on the forums.

I moved in to a new house at the end of 2021 with my family and we have a much larger garden (not huge once the kids get in there), but it has enabled me to put in a couple of starter raised beds down and gives me a larger patio area to grow some things from, as well as a 12ft x 12ft stone covered area which is a kind of redundant area next to a shed (maybe a future greenhouse location).

I have always wanted to give growing my own fruit and veg a go but our old house had very little space and what we did have some very shaded by large trees, or taken up with my wife's flower beds. So when we found the house we moved to, I said I wanted to have a space to grow some veg. My kids are still young (10 + 8) so they still want space for a trampoline etc, so I can not have lots of growing space, but that is ok, I just want to try and not kill things in my first season :-).

I have had some very kind friends donate or gift me some tools, some seeds, some plants and other bits, and now I am trying to work out what they heck I am doing :-).

I have planned to keep it simple this year, just some potatoes in tubs, some carrots and parsnips in the taller bed, and some peas, broccoli in another, with some strawberries and blueberries (both gifted to me) on the patio area.

We have a south facing garden which gets lots of sun and is pretty sheltered from the wind.

So I am looking forward to learning how not to kill things, and I think you will see me on the forum a lot asking stupid questions.

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome!

Sounds like you're going to have some fun projects in a very promising growing space.
    Most of what you're growing is pretty tolerant of mistakes. But you might find you need to protect the carrots from carrot fly and the broccoli (calabrese) from the pigeons and butterflies. And the blueberries need acid soil or compost or they will sulk.

There are no stupid questions in gardening ... but be prepared for lots of different and contradictory answers!

My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

You will learn so much as you go. I've found one of the best ways to learn is just to give it a go, what works for one person may not work for another. Just enjoy it, it's the best way to de-stress and have something to look forward to 🌱

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        Just ask and someone who has grown it before will come and tell you how they did it.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Welcome to the forum Matt. Plenty of lovely folks here to give a helping hand when needed. Enjoy your first season.
          sigpic

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Matt
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Matt and welcome
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hi there Matt - and Welcome to the Vine from me too !
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Welcome and happy gardenning.

Comment

Hello Matt, welcome to the wonderful, frustrating, magical, exciting, disappointing and utterly fabulous world of gardening!
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

^^^^ how true !
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Matt , welcome to the forum ! .
                        Just a thought , if you have the space , would your kids be up for a little garden of their own to look after and grow a few things in ?

Comment

Hello and welcome, Matt. Best wishes for a great growing year and a happy time in your new home.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X