Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small garden, raised beds

Hi everyone
    Ive just retired and moved from an apartment to a small terrace with a small front garden in lawn and an equally small rear garden that is now paved but with around 13 m of raised beds about 800mm wide, facing all four directions.
    I intend planting mainly stuff I like eating, with a few flowers, and so far have planted a bed of raspberries and 2 climbing roses in the south facing wall. I also have 2 vine plants (questions to follow!) and a gooseberry bush still to plant and about to divide my new neighbours huge rhubarb and take half of that. Oh and I also have a small herb patch with so far just coriander and rosemary so far.
    I have some questions which I will post in due course and looking for ideas, mainly by browsing existing posts.
    Look forward to engaging in the forum.

Hi BeaumontBelle, and welcome to the vine. Congratulations on your retirement There are lots of bright ideas on this forum, and lots of help always available to answer any questions - you may get several differing answers, but that means you can pick the solution that best works for you
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Hi there, and welcome to the Vine from me too
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Your rhubarb will grow well if it has access to deep subsoil as it is a tap root plant.
        Rhubarb grows well in my area with manure over brick making clay. The tap root needs to get right down to rock for a good crop.
        A raised bed over concrete will not do for rhubarb.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine BeaumontBelle

Have a good browse around the forum we do have a lot of good info, plus have a look at the growing guides.

How To Grow Vegetables & Fruit | Growing Guides & Tips | Grow Your Own Magazine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)

I agree with mothhawk we all have our own way of doing things you just need to find yours.
          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 30-12-2021, 08:58 AM.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello and welcome, BB (hope you don't mind me shortening your name). Best wishes for 2022 in your new home and garden.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Re the rhubarb Plot 70, the raised beds do have some rubble at the bottom but are sitting on soil so I may remove some of the the rubble immediately below when planting

Comment

Hello BB welcome to the forum & happy retirement Enjoy your new gardens

Comment

Originally posted by BeaumontBelle View Post
                  Thanks everyone. Re the rhubarb Plot 70, the raised beds do have some rubble at the bottom but are sitting on soil so I may remove some of the the rubble immediately below when planting
                  I would be strongly tempted to give the soil under the rubble a bash with a wrecking bar to give the rhubarb roots a start.
                  In later years old roots will die off and get the worms going up and down allowing the plants to mature and to keep the soil loose enough without digging.
                  What soil was it before the ground was covered?
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

it was grass prior to paving and raised beds being installed

Comment

Originally posted by BeaumontBelle View Post
                      No plants much enjoy growing on rubble. If it's a question of not having enough compost/soil to fill raised beds, it's better to pack the base with organic matter such as branches or wood chippings, and other garden waste, or cardboard, which will over time degrade into compost, rather than rubble, which in ten years time will still be rubble.
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Welcome to the vine BeaumontBelle.

A sunny raised bed with rubble at the base might be a good place for Mediterranean plants and herbs like your rosemary - I think they are better in a poorer soil. Lots of flowering annuals like this type of soil too. Raised beds can be free draining, and dry out faster. So, maybe try a bit of improvement where you will have long term plantings such as fruit, but tailor other plantings accordingly.
                        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Hi Beaumont Belle and welcome to the forum.
                          You will get lots of great advice on here.
                          Hope it's a good growing season for you.
                          Please keep us updated.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...