Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of newbie

Hi folks,
    I signed up here back in 2006 and have been a random user since then but hardly ever logged in so drifted round the site as a guest.
    Made redundant 31/1/2019 so have spent the last couple of years in the garden making new beds and trying to grow as much as possible.
    Although I am still looking for a job (applied for one a week before the first lockdown, haven't heard back yet - can't think why) I still want to grow as much as possible.
    I'm looking forward to being able to search the forum for hints and tips to improve my chances of a good crop and how to prevent the critters from causing so much damage.
    Last years leeks were ruined by the new insect that leaves boring grubs that chew their way down the stems of the plants.
    Have got my onions under fine mesh this year to try and stop them getting the same.
    Enough of my rambling for one night
    Looking forward to chatting this summer as the weather improves.
    Tim

Welcome TC(how's officer Dibble these days) tell us a bit about your plot, where are you geographically , what's your soil like(heavy clay, sandy or are you lucky and have nice loamy soil), all these will help with any advice or suggestions.

Comment

Hi, TC. Shame about your leeks. Having them affected by grubs must have been disappointing. Hopefully the mesh you're using will deter the wee beasties and you'll get a much better crop this year.

Comment

Hi burnie and purple primrose and thanks for the welcome.
        I'll try and post a photo or two over the weekend.
        I live between Basingstoke and Camberley, just off the M3.

Comment

I used to live in that blackboard chalk area but only had occasional access to a concrete roof.
          I moved north for cheap housing and access to a real plot and garden all be it on brick-making clay.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Hi Topcat and welcome back. Sounds like your leeks were attacked by either allium leaf miner of leek moth. Ally miner is spreading outwards across the UK from Birmingham and leek moth is coming north from the channel. Here in Notts we have both. Leek moth can be stopped by using regular Enviromesh type net but ally miner needs Enviromesh Ultrafine. Fleece works for both but it has to be strong enough to stay in place for a long time.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hello and welcome back, Topcat. Sorry to hear of your job travails. Something will come along when the economy starts to pick up again. Best wishes for a great growing year.

Comment

Hello and welcome 'Sort of Newbie'.

Flippin eck, you joined the vine before me!

2 posts in 14 years has to be some sort of a record! I hope your job search is fruitful and I look forward to hearing of your exploits into the world of gardening in the future.

Nice to have you back Topcat.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Welcome back TC
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hello and welcome back Topcat

I had the same problem with my leeks I did have some success with the next crop by keeping them covered with fleece as Mr Bones suggests.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Happy Easter folks.
                      Just a couple of pics to show the protection on this years onions and last years leek bed which will have salads and greens in it this year.
                      I'll put a fleece row cover on this to protect it as well.
                      TC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X