salaam and hello everyone..............

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
    I've managed to get mango seeds growing, but they get to about 6" high, with 6 - 8 leaves, then just fade away. Any suggestions?

hi maureen,

sorry been neglecting the interweb for a while.. i have updated on the other mango thread.

good luck.

MG

Comment

asalam alekum everyones...

Apologies for my absence.. been commuting to London for the past year.. had lots of things on my mind, but now i am back and have started so many seeds indoors you guys are not going to believe it..

My mum and dad came back from the hajj on the annual pilgrimage to saudi arabia, and they bought me back some dates, so i germinated the seeds indoors and now i have 5 date palm seedlings growing in pot noodle containers. simply loving it.. i also germinated a coconut,, doing lots of stuff this season inshallah.

grew potatoes in old b&q soil bags , they came out excellent, the best, didn't even bother with the seeded potatoes just bought some from the corner shop, chitted them indoors and they grew amazing in old soil bags.. if you dont have much space in your garden growing in used soil bags is the way to go.. i have all the tutorials with plenty of pics on all my projects on my computer and maybe later ill start some threads.. i think you will enjoy germinating the date palm seeds..

also my flower patch last season was amazing i had so many different bulbs buried in the patch and most of them bloomed... also had 25 different chili strains that i grew outdoors in uk, and most flowered and i made some chili pickle using white vinegar, i do like the indian "achaar" as well , but trust me the vinegar pickle is a lot more healthier...
      Last edited by muslimgrower; 23-01-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Hi yah MG nice to see you!

yes I love chilli's and curry as well anything a bit spicy with a bit of a kick to it and it is welcome on my plate any day lol post some of your recipies on here if you get a chance!

Have fun!
        Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

^

thanks and i will

i grew so many strains of chilis, at the end i gave up counting them. ill show you a pic of my chili pickles later.. but here is a pic of my date palm seedlings,, i have noticed each seedling seems to be an individual with its own character.. and i just used regular potting soil and have not even given them any nutrients or fertilizer, just keep them warm and give them light..

Last edited by muslimgrower; 23-01-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muslimgrower View Post
            ^

thanks and i will

i grew so many strains of chilis, at the end i gave up counting them. ill show you a pic of my chili pickles later.. but here is a pic of my date palm seedlings,, i have noticed each seedling seems to be an individual with its own character.. and i just used regular potting soil and have not even given them any nutrients or fertilizer, just keep them warm and give them light..

welcome to the vine, love the pics of your date palms, i have 12 on the go too, and they are as you say little 'individuals'
            i may have to pick your brain about ginger, i did grow some once but killed it ( neglect) and am trying again with some that has thrown shoots at the moment.

i am also a chilli nut, trying to limit myself to 8 varieties this year, but it is sooooo hard when people keep offering me a new type, and i have to sow 6 of each, just in case of bad germination, then they ALL germinate and i can't bear to throw a growing plant away

thats how i ended up with 24 date palms, i never thought they would all 'take', managed to give away half, but what on earth am i going to do with 12 palm trees? i dont even have a big enough garden for one!
            Last edited by BrideXIII; 23-01-2009, 05:07 PM.
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Hi bride..

thanks for the welcome..

been meaning to post last summer, but was really busy with other thngs..

check out all my chilis/poatoes/tomatoes/coriander/basil etc.. grown outdoors in uk

ps.. feel free to laugh at my funny regional accent that no one can pin point

YouTube - growing chilis in uk part 2
              Last edited by muslimgrower; 23-01-2009, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Hi MG
                Welcome to the vine. Thanks for the info on ginger, I have put some in, in the last week so I will be following your advice. Please let us know how yours is coming along so we can compare.
                http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

My ginger reached a foot high shoot wise, but was in a very small pot, i think it might have got 'leggy' but as i have never grown ginger before i might have messed up, next lot i will move to the shade, cos last time it was in full sun.

so easy to do though from shop bought, mine 'chits' like potatoes if it hangs around in my kitchen, i just end up bunging in compost with the shoot only showing above ground.It's the after it's started growing i have trouble with.
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!
                  'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                  Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
                    Hi MG
                    Welcome to the vine. Thanks for the info on ginger, I have put some in, in the last week so I will be following your advice. Please let us know how yours is coming along so we can compare.
                    hiya..

My ginger plant is 2 seasons old,

in Uk you will have to bring it indoors in September, because the cold will kill it.. keep it in a dark cool room and do not water it at all, and in mid April early may it will bounce right back and you can leave it outside again from may till September.. you will not get many rhizomes from it in one season, you may have to wait a few seasons before you can see the results,, in uk its grown more for an ornamental plant.. but its possible to harvest the ginger after a few seasons.. its cool though you can dig into the pot and break some ginger off it and it will keep on growing..

so for me this is the 3rd season of the ginger plant, it is indoors now and i will take it out in early may..

Comment

Originally posted by muslimgrower View Post
                      check out all my chilis/poatoes/tomatoes/coriander/basil etc.. grown outdoors in uk

ps.. feel free to laugh at my funny regional accent that no one can pin point

YouTube - growing chilis in uk part 2
                      Your Youtube vid is very impressive!

You sound like a Yorkshire lad to me?
                      I was feeling part of the scenery
                      I walked right out of the machinery
                      My heart going boom boom boom
                      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts