No announcement yet.

Hello from Yorkshire

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a friendly welcome and great advice.

I probably won't get a greenhouse until I'm further down the line and I know that I can grow things myself. I've patience,time, etc.

Is it possible to grow British Native vegetables in garden, year round without a green house?

Mike

Comment

Dunno about native vegetables, but my dad was a super veg grower in his west of Scotland garden, and had success with potatoes, cabbages, brussels sprouts, runner beans, onions, garlic, cauliflowers, broad beans, turnips. We were never short of veg growing up. Also apples, gooseberries, rhubarb, raspberries, plums. All of these crops are possible in our climate.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

A lot of fruit and veg are not British native, and are native to other countries. Potatoes are from South America,cucumbers from India,Tomatoes,pepper,chillies,aubergines from somewhere warm etc.
        You could grow cabbage and crab apple if you like them,I think that they could be British nativeI’m sure that there must be others but you might be limiting yourself
        Last edited by chillithyme; 05-11-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Veg like cauliflower,cabbage and kale can be grow all the year round without a greenhouse. In the colder months,some of these would benefit from a hooped fleece over the top,depending on the variety

Comment

Welcome to the Vine Mike
            All at once I hear your voice
            And time just slips away
            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

You can grow alot without a greenhouse but the weather can be dramatic early spring & having a row cover or some fleece can be really helpful. Could you use a windowsill to start off tomatoes & peppers? Cucumbers,runner beans & Corn sowed at the end of May/beginning of June when the night time temps are milder,wouldn’t need a greenhouse. Before I had a blowaway,in early spring,I used to just put the plants on the patio against the house in a sheltered position (it was windy once & I wrapped fleece around the area) during the day then back on the windowsills at night.
              Last edited by Jungle Jane; 05-11-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X