No announcement yet.

Hello world

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Steve and a warm welcome to our forum.

Hope you keep coming here a lot, to tell us what you are doing and planning with your allotment. There are lots of people who can give good advice here so don't be shy about asking questions if you have a problem with your plants.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

A big welcome from me Steve
      I like gardeners delight tomatoes
      Also maybe try growing sweet corn, lovely flavour
      Nannys make memories

Comment

Hi Steve and welcome.
        Hope you have many happy years of growing.
        Gardening g is a great hobby.
        There is no right or wrong way of doing things and the best teacher is yourself.
        You learn as you go along and there is nobody there to judge you.
        My favourite tomato is Sungold, a small sweet orange one.
        Ask all the questions as everyone on here are so helpful.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

In re your fascination with leaves, if I'm wrong someone will correct me, but from what I've seen, comfrey have neat leaves
          sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

Rhubarb has VERY big leaves and the stalks make a lovely rhubarb crumble (don't eat the leaves 'cos they're poisonous).
            My favourite tomato is Gardener's Delight - its the one I grow every year although I trty others as well. The very early tomatoes, that I hope to pick in June, will be small ones like Tumbler that can be grown in pots or hanging baskets.

Comment

Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone for the nice replies.
              I have been given the keys to the allotment and have been digging today.
              They had a nice communal compost pile they said I could help myself to amend soil so I took some. I have to make sure not to add too many weeds.

They also had free seeds of some things that have been saved by growers there.
              Thank you all for the variety ideas, I will add them to my list of things to try.

Seeds I have been given:
              I got 4 tomato types, mortgage lifter, marmande, marmande superrecoche and cherry.
              3 Cucumbers. telegraph, marketmore and burpless
              and lots of seeds, including cabbage, courgette, pumpkin, marrow and squash that all have huge leaves so Im really happy today.

I have been to get some compost and started 3 full propagators of seeds.
              2 with 64 cells and 1 with 24, so 152 cells total.
              I love growing.
              Sincerely
              Steve
              Last edited by Workslave; 22-03-2019, 04:06 AM.
              I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                Sounds like a great allotment site. Gardeners can be very helpful and generous with their seeds and their time, especially when they meet someone who is enthusiastic about growing their own.

Which seeds have you started today?

Comment

Steve it sounds like you've got a nice selection of seeds
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Brilliant news, Steve. Sounds like your plot is on a great site with friendly folk. So glad you're finding it fun.

Comment

Great news Steve!

It's exciting starting seeds off and waiting for a tiny plant to appear. It's good you are on a good plot with friendly people.

Comment

Welcome Steve. You'll get lots of help here.

My favourite tomato is a Kumato, which is a brown variety I grow from seeds taken from fruit found in a supermarket in the south of France about 10 years ago. They have the best flavour in my opinion.

I see that you have cabbage seeds - I think you will like the leaves of this better than anything. They grow really big but the best thing about them is the way water beads on the surface and rolls off to the ground. It's quite mesmerising to watch.

I look forward to seeing some photos of your allotment.
                        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X