No announcement yet.

Howdy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Chestnut, it appears that there are a few panes of glass leaning next to the greenhouse - although I can see the first one is broken I've got my fingers crossed that some of those behind are intact and will be the correct size.

Having never had a greenhouse it's quite exciting as once sorted I should be able to grow some chillies which have never done much for me on a windowsill in the past. Looks like it might be a bit too late to get them going this year, but definitely on the plan for next.

Comment

my advice would be to sow a few seeds in pots or other containers now inside in the warm, to plant out when ground does become ready - and to clear the ground by starting in one small corner, rather than trying to do it all at once.

For me at least I find I get more motivation if I have something growing which I can plant out - Good Luck

Comment

I finally got round to sorting the pictures.... Say hello to G4

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190210_114302-1587x1190.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	2382590

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190210_114320-1587x1190.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	2382591

Comment

good luck with it!
          some interesting looking stuff in the pile. Those windows could be good for rigging up a coldframe.
          Do you have the missing glass for the greenhouse?
          is that an abandoned trailer in there?

Have you got bits covered with cardboard/weed membrane to start suppressing weeds yet?
          Last edited by bikermike; 06-03-2019, 12:18 PM. Reason: came back to look at shed, spotted trailer

Comment

Hi Mike, yes that is an abandoned trailer - full of bits of scrap metal - just a shame I don't have a tow bar. There is a small stack of glass next to the greenhouse but I haven't gone through it yet to see if there are enough solid panes to repair it.

The odd patch in the middle has some weed membrane down on it, although a few brambles have grown through.
            I should have my brush cutter this weekend to take those weeds down to ground level and then a huge pile of cardboard in my garage to go to the plot. Plenty of bits of wood and metal up there to hold it down.

Oooh coldframe, I hadn't thought of that. Gives me something to do with those windows rather than just repair the shed. The roof needs to come off the shed as it's dangerous and then I can get it and see what (apart for general rubbish) has been left in there. I think there is some green debris netting at the back which could be useful.

Need to significantly trim the hedge on the left of the image as that's the south edge of the plot so should give me more light.
            Last edited by mrmauy; 06-03-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

wow! It's a good job you live a way from me, or I'd be trying to get that trailer...

Debris netting is good, it should also survive a fair degree of abuse, so will still be worth keeping.

Re the Shed, how bad is the roof? After all once you take it off, you remove any vestigial protection it's offering to the walls. Or is the shed too far gone for other than a Viking funeral?

I think there's also a pallet there. Can you get any more to build a compost head? I inherited a two-bay heap made from pallets (ie an E shape made out of 5 pallets and some rusty corrugated iron), and it feels huge, but it's as you can fill it if a windfall comes your way.

Comment

Lovely big plot & some good weather now for digging out the weeds. I wonder if you’ve got birds nesting in all that hedging,enjoy it all,I feel like March is the best month for starting off peppers on the windowsill. There’s enough daylight now,the plants won’t go leggy.

Comment

Originally posted by bikermike View Post
                  Re the Shed, how bad is the roof?
                  The "roof" is currently three joists - none of which are a single full beam - and a couple of odd bits of very soggy OSB. The roof is being held up (even that is stretching the meaning of the word) by a single prop made up of a few bits of timber screwed together. The floor is completely rotten and I think a good sneeze would probably bring the whole thing down.

Strangely the walls seem to be fairly solid, so it's obviously been fairly well made at some point.

Yep there's a pallet on the ground, and may even be a couple more under the mess by the shed, if not they are easy to come by from the industrial estates nearby.

Comment

Congratulations and happy growing.

Comment

I did wonder about birds Jane but couldn't see anything in the hedge on the left which is the only one I've any plans to do much with at the moment. The hedge on the north side is onto a building site/new housing estate so can stay nice and tall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X