Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gardening in Portugal. Sailing in Devon.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
    You might want to start the tiger nut in containers as they might be more likely to survive over winter in Portugal than the North East.
    Top idea, makes harvesting easier, and keeps them under control too!

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
      Plus I found the tiger nuts grown in open soil, as opposed to in compost, absolutely impossible to clean.

Mine didn't survive the Beast from the East, and I don't think I will bother with them again.
      My folks grow potatoes in pots, not as many to harvest as when planted out, but much easier to collect and clean when tipping the compost out at harvest time.
      Intrigued to try some tiger nuts sparrow100, but will probably come to same conclusion as you after a year or so.

Comment

I have my tiger nuts in two old wheel less wheelbarrows - easy to control.

Next year I might stick some in the bath with the Jerusalem artichokes in as well to act as a ground cover.

JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES - haven't mentioned them yet. Another root crop that needs containing but can generally be left to fend for itself as long as it has water. First dish of the year can be the trickiest as you might want a big tasty bowl of soup with crusty bread but the side effects warrant a more gradual introduction into the died.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
          Sounds like a nice setup you have. I love Portugal and go every year to the Algarve, but I stay in the west end of the Algarve where its nice and quite and lots of locals to talk to.

Lots of sweetcorn, courgettes, squashes and potatoes. Their onions looked great, as all of these tend to like the heat, with accompanying water....every garden had irrigation systems (presumably connected to mains water), so provided you have a water system up and running then these won't be a problem.

As far as perennials go, I would go for some peaches, nectarines, apricots too. I also saw a few Quince trees, which like it warmer, and then loads of grapes. Best way to obtain these would be from a supplier in Portugal, to ensure you get varieties that are suited to the climate.

Chillis and toms should be fine outside so they'll be good ones to grow.

Regarding garlic, you'd probably be best buying some in Portugal to grow. Varieties you buy here are suited to our climate, and vice versa, I have grown Portuguese garlic in the UK and the results were nowhere near those of the 'UK garlic'.

Having varieties that are suited to the climate will make your job a million times easier in terms of the effort you need to put in to maintain them, especially as you may not be there all of the time.
          Hi Paulieb, thanks for coming out of forum hibernation to wish me a warm welcome!

Yes, absolutely love Portugal too! The West is stunning...I definitely need to explore further, out past Lux! I've bought in Eastern Algarve tho, for the same reason as you describe - nice and quiet, old traditional market towns, lots of locals, little tourists - my little plot is in the North East, just below the border of the Alentejo region, right on the Rio Guadiana, next stop Spain!

There are a LOT of orange groves here, so I hope to identify the local varieties (very juicy and sweet) and put a few of those in. I dream of having all the soft fruit trees you mention, and need to identify local grape varieties too.

My challenge, initially, will be irrigation. The locals get bore holes drilled for their water. I'd like to try rainwater harvest/greywater irrigation initially - gotta look after that precious water table - and explore alternatives to the borehole, before jumping straight in with the drilling.

It will be an experiment in offgrid homesteading! Might come over to the dark side if it becomes too challenging!

I think you are right though..sourcing local varieties suited to the climate rather than repurposing UK varieties will be the key to success! Especially as I won't be there all the time, the first couple of years will need to err on the side of self sustainable...for part of the year at least!

Comment

What a fabulous way of life and welcome to the vine.

My limited time in Portugal shows the soil to vary considerably in depth and quality, but essentially building topsoil with mulch and compost is your best move. Again there seemed to be not too much compostable green matter in the areas I have visited in the south and I had though of cardboard as being a likely free resource from shops etc. Perhaps a local stable might have muck you could help them dispose of. Pile it up and let it break down. A long term goal for me would be getting the soil in a better state (not that I know what your soil is like), and so gathering material would be a big first step.

Good luck and keep us posted, oh and we don't object to pics.

Edit...
            Another thought, green manure for when you are not there. If you can get maze to grow the biomass is huge for the area, sunflowers too can be a big biomass builder for cheap.
            Last edited by ESBkevin; 30-08-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Simplesamen, not to be rude but I think you ought to pack your bags. We want photos!

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                My limited time in Portugal shows the soil to vary considerably in depth and quality, but essentially building topsoil with mulch and compost is your best move. Again there seemed to be not too much compostable green matter in the areas I have visited in the south and I had though of cardboard as being a likely free resource from shops etc. Perhaps a local stable might have muck you could help them dispose of. Pile it up and let it break down. A long term goal for me would be getting the soil in a better state (not that I know what your soil is like), and so gathering material would be a big first step.

Good luck and keep us posted, oh and we don't object to pics.

Edit...
                Another thought, green manure for when you are not there. If you can get maze to grow the biomass is huge for the area, sunflowers too can be a big biomass builder for cheap.
                Thank you kindly for your warm welcome and sage advise ESBkevin, Im hoping to build a compost pile as soon as possible. Had thought about sowing all my old veggie seeds just to generate sacrificial crops to either chop and drop or cut and add to a compost pile.

Sunflowers are a great idea!! I've gathered a bunch of sunflower seeds so will scatter those around the central area as I want to build the soil in this area first. I'm hoping to also find a source for straw (as a mulch) and soil builder. Also for the bio loo!

I've also got LOTS of pruning to do so wondered about creating a couple of hugelkultures to plant up quickly and leave to break down.

Other thoughts re building the soil include making a giant vat of comfrey tea! Soil building is a priority for me so any further ideas or thought I'll be a sponge for that knowledge!

I've divided the space into zones which will help me keep it manageable. The central area is going to be the food forest/main garden so I'll concentrate on that first...getting the tree saplings in this autumn.

Here's a couple of pictures showing the plot and surrounding area...just to give a sense of the terrain!!

This is the long strip of plot...it's approx 25feet wide by 260 feet long, ending at the river (to the East) There is a vehicular access track to the other end (West). You can just see my neighbours homestead to the south.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1990.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	2380439

Standing on the foreshore looking back up hill towards the track through the lower section of the plot.

Name:	IMG_1988.JPG
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2380441

Looking through three spindly pomegranate trees to the river, and on the opposite bank, Spain! This is a tidal river, 40 kms from the ocean. Locals use the river to irrigate, so I may follow suit after checking the salinity.

Name:	IMG_1991.JPG
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	2380443

Hope these piccies work, it's a bit tricky trying to load this from an iPad on an iffy wifi connection!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by simplesamen; 02-09-2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                  Simplesamen, not to be rude but I think you ought to pack your bags. We want photos!
                  Haha, ok, added some pics of the plot to ESBkevins post above. More to follow if loading these works out!!

Comment

Looks lovely simplesaman, nice to see that there is green growing already so you know it's not a desert.

All that water in the river, could it be that its not to saline when the tide has ebbed but rather too salty on the incoming?

Hugalkulta is a great idea and banks some fertile and moist beds for future years, I tried an experiment on my little plot a couple of years ago and it definately has some benefits. Whatever you slash away you should stack to become mulch in the future, nothing needs to go to waste even branches will one day be broken down to soft earth. Not that I recall seeing much in the region, but seaweed can be a high feed fertilizer. Over here you can only gather loose plant material and not anything growing/attached but i don't know about Portugal, might be worth exploring the possibilities.

Finally do you need to consider fencing as protection from wandering/grazing animals? If you end up making raised beds and they produce fantastic friuit and veg you would be gutted if they were nibbled off by a stray goat just as they were vready to harvest!

Those photos make me envious for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                      Looks lovely simplesaman, nice to see that there is green growing already so you know it's not a desert.

All that water in the river, could it be that its not to saline when the tide has ebbed but rather too salty on the incoming?
                      Thanks ESBkevin, I'm thrilled with the place. Yes, there's a large dam upriver (on the Spanish side) and a large reservoir on the Portuguese side which both control water flow down to us, so I'm sure that I can get away with river fed irrigation. We are also 40kms upriver from the ocean so yes, I think your suggestion for water catchment after the flood tide has ebbed seems more likely to draw sweet water.

Currently looking at the possibility of installing a ram pump to bring water up from the river without need for power - but the slight incline from the waters edge might now allow that to work. Also exploring the possibility of a rainwater harvest pond halfway up the plot.

Hugalkulta is a great idea and banks some fertile and moist beds for future years, I tried an experiment on my little plot a couple of years ago and it definately has some benefits. Whatever you slash away you should stack to become mulch in the future, nothing needs to go to waste even branches will one day be broken down to soft earth. Not that I recall seeing much in the region, but seaweed can be a high feed fertilizer. Over here you can only gather loose plant material and not anything growing/attached but i don't know about Portugal, might be worth exploring the possibilities.
                      Seaweed is a great idea!! I don't think I can gather it so far upriver but any opportunity for a foraging trip to the 'seaside' is a welcome 'chore'.

With your hugel experiment, did you plant trees on the mound or smaller crops?
                      I'm thinking to use it as the groundwork for a fruit/nut tree centred guild. Do you have any photos from your experiment?

Finally do you need to consider fencing as protection from wandering/grazing animals? If you end up making raised beds and they produce fantastic friuit and veg you would be gutted if they were nibbled off by a stray goat just as they were vready to harvest!

Those photos make me envious for sure.
                      Funny, I didn't think about fencing...not too many wandering goats in my UK gardening experience!! But yes, I hear that there are wild boar here, and I'm sure plenty of other hungry critters to feast on my crops! So some kind of enclosure sounds like a good idea!

Yikes! So much to do!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X