'Idiots Guide' book??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Idiots Guide' book??

I've done a search on here for books and although there are some good threads I haven't found an answer to exactly what I'm looking for so need help (again!!!!) please??

Can you recommend an 'Idiots Guide to Gardening'? I need a book, or a couple of books, that say things like 'this is a cabbage and this is how you plant it and look after it!!' or words to that effect.

In my perfect world it would have information about flowers, vegetables and fruit but I may be looking for a little too much

Does anyone have anything they can recommend? I already have a small selction of garden design and pest type books but don't know where to start with this and fear I will spend a gazillion quid on a hundred books!

Oh, and the obvious fab result from answering this thread will be that I might stop asking such stupid questions here every day!!
    Last edited by Curvy Vixen; 27-08-2007, 08:57 AM.

Dr.D.G.Hessayon's 'Expert' books are the usual ones people use. Published by PBI Publications. They seem to be widely available. Full of info for beginners despite the expert title. They are illustrated with photos, drawings and diagrams to help you along.
    At the moment I have in front of me the House Plant Expert and The Vegetable and Herb Expert. Used in conjunction with any other source of info,e.g. The Vine, you should be up and running in no time.
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I second Terrier there. I use Dr Hessayons Veg and Herb expert. Brill book with loads of pictures and easy to follow advice.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

yes i agree the expert books are great for explaning it in plain language, my first year and manage to grow most things . look on e-bay at this time of year there cheaper.
        p.s i personally would not bother with the greenhouse one as you can get most of your answers on here . BUT THE FRUIT ONE IS WORTH IT
        ---) CARL (----
        ILFRACOMBE
        NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Ah ha....

Saw the question and immediately though the Hessayon books. Then found everybody else thought so too.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks a lot folks ~ I actually bought the Rose one and the Pests one a few weeks ago from recommendations on here. I'll go off and have a nose at the others..

Comment

i concur, i have the veg one and the fruit one they are great.
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

yeep I go with the others! the 'Expert' books are great and you don't have to be a gardener of 20years to understand them.....fantastic, you can't go wrong with his books.
                good luck in your quest, please let us know what book you get and what you think of it!

Comment

Just don't frighten yourself to death with the 'pests and diseases' page - it's like a medical dictionary - you think you've got everything!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Sorry to come to this a little late, but I also use a book called Food From Your Garden which is quite idiot proof and also has a couple of recipes and tips for preserving/freezing and so on.
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

But the Hessayon Books aren't organic or am i wrong - i often am - i bought the garden expert for someone as a gift and thought it looked good but all the pests and diseases answers seemed to be spray it with this or dose it with that...tell me i'm wrong and i'll order the fruit expert straight away cos i need some advice......
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

your not wrong most pests he just says spray them , but there is other useful info in the book aswell.
                        ---) CARL (----
                        ILFRACOMBE
                        NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Please don't flame me but I'm not organic so that's fine. I may well become one but at the moment I'm so new to all this that I'm using anything I can to keep monsters and diseases at bay! I did read on here the other day that the birds could die after eating blue pellet filled slugs though and that made me think...

Comment

Originally posted by carlseawolf View Post
                            your not wrong most pests he just says spray them , but there is other useful info in the book aswell.
                            You're right there, somebody bought me the pest book and whilst it's quite good for identifying the pest I'm not always keen on the solution but at least I can google / ask here knowing what the problem is so it's still useful.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

there's a book called allotment gardening which gives advice on getting started plus has an a-z of veg,fruit,herbs & flowers which may be of some help

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X