Swoe and azada

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swoe and azada

Hope this is in the right place. I'm puzzled - will a swoe do the same job as an azada? Or are they for completely different tasks? I need to get one or the other - getting over a slipped disc and want to go a bit more gently! Thanks for any advice you can give.

Just bought an azada (it arrived today )- will let you know how we get on!
    http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by murray View Post
      Hope this is in the right place. I'm puzzled - will a swoe do the same job as an azada? Or are they for completely different tasks? I need to get one or the other - getting over a slipped disc and want to go a bit more gently! Thanks for any advice you can give.
      Two completely different things!

I have a Swoe which is a Wilkinson Sword hoe. It is basically a dutch hoe with one of the support legs missing......if that makes sense? Because it only has one leg on one side it has two sharp edges and and a sharp edged end!
      It's ideal for hoeing around plants as you can get to the back and the front...in fact all round each plant without shifting your feet position.
      I don't think is any easier on the back than a standard Dutch Hoe though!

The Azada is like a heavy draw hoe with the blade tilted back. It IS supposed to be easier on the back but would still take some handling if you gardened on clay soil!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I believe that the Azada is the tool that is used the world over including here in BG, where it is called a Motika. I have heard it recommended- see Real Seeds website.
        In the hands of the locals, little old ladies etc, it is like the surgeon's scalple. In my hands it is like a bludgeon. It is used for digging, to prepare ground for planting and weeding. They even use it to cut the grass from between paving slabs.
        I use a dutch hoe and have introduced it here but they use it as a hacking device. Don't have the idea of gently sliding it along to de-capitate the weeds.
        I would plump for the swoe.

Phreddy

Comment

After reading on some website I bought an azada. It is a tool I think will take practice to use to its peak efficiency. The jury is still out here in Leeds 9.
          Oneflewovers Blog

Comment

I've been trying out the forked azada thing over the past few days - absolutely fantastic for getting up couch grass roots, of which we have plenty. The azada itself is good - OH is using it currently for getting up top growth - he only nearly hacked his leg off once.
            http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X