No announcement yet.

Boundary hedge - recommendations please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be a short wall or fence in front of the hedge? if yes you may want to bear in mind kind folk who leave their rubbish between the two. Also if there is a path near to where you have the hedge? how much do you want to keep trimming it to allow people to walk down the path and also will it obscure cars coming in and out of driveways.

Comment

BM - planning permission regs: (daft, I agree!)

"You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere;

You do not need planning permission for hedges as such, though if a planning condition or a covenant restricts planting (for example, on "open plan" estates, or where a driver's sight line could be blocked) you may need planning permission and/or other consent"

I like the idea of a raspberry hedge, but would it attract wasps? I don't want to end up surrounded!
      Last edited by vixylix; 13-07-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

NG - don't think cars will be an issue, but I am concerned about the footpath - the wall will set it back a bit and I'll keep on top of it, but don't want to be out for hours every weekend keeping it in check

I've tried to upload a picture but it won't upload for some reason... I'll try again when I'm back home!

I do really like the idea of something edible so its not just wasted space - but maintenance is key. Next doors ivy is growing over into the garden so I might have a lot to do just to manage that!

Comment

This is the front wall I want to cover!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
            I remember that episode,he had box blight. I like the variegated leaves of euonymus fortunei silver queen. A neighbour round the corner has the 'silver queen' & 'emerald & gold' varieties mixed in coordinately it looks really pretty although the gold variety doesn't grow as tall as the silver. Good evergreen perennials. Also choisya ternata sundance is a nice bright evergreen with golden leaves.
            You forgot to mention the bonus of scent from the eunymous and choisya.
            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
              I like the idea of a raspberry hedge, but would it attract wasps? I don't want to end up surrounded!
              My raspberries don't attract wasps at all although obviously when they're flowering there are loads of insects about. The main problem I'd see with a raspberry hedge is that it will look like sticks in winter and the suckers can come up some distance away. Personally I like the idea of a native fruiting hedge as described further up so you can harvest hips, sloes, haws, etc

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I see no ones mentioned privet yet, cheap to buy plants, makes a decent barrier, easy to maintain, can be cut to any height....

Boring I agree, but much less hassle than some species.

Just a thought.

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X