No announcement yet.

Seed sale:)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be ordering any now because I already ordered 22 packets from them at the end of August, after seeing them mentioned on this forum. The prices were very good then, although higher than they are now, and there was a wider range of varieties available.

I paid by debit card, which doesn't seem to have caused any problems, and they arrived safely in Slovakia not long afterwards

By the way, the one labelled gourd Ambar is not a gourd but a C. maxima squash from Poland. I've read very good descriptions of it on Polish sites, and the pictures look similar to a Kabocha, so it could be well worth trying if there are still any left.

Comment

Just noticed this thread - the sale is still on !!!

I've ordered the majority of my seeds for next year - thank you to the OP

Just noticed the sale is on until 17th November and not October which I originally thought it was - doh...
      Last edited by KevinM67; 21-10-2014, 06:23 PM. Reason: Stupidity
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Less varieties now, than when I first looked with my credit card locked away. I knew it was a stupid thing to do

Comment

Originally posted by Zelenina View Post

By the way, the one labelled gourd Ambar is not a gourd but a C. maxima squash from Poland. I've read very good descriptions of it on Polish sites, and the pictures look similar to a Kabocha, so it could be well worth trying if there are still any left.
          Oh bum!
          I got the Miranda one

Thirteen packets....all seeds I would have had to buy elsewhere (honest) and all for the princely sum of £5.18 including p&p.

Thanks for posting this noviceveggrower, you've saved me a fortune
          http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Miranda is also Polish, muddled, but is a Cucurbita pepo. It is a naked seed pumpkin, so it's meant mainly for eating the seeds. You might find the flesh isn't very tasty. They are also called oil-seed pumpkins or Styrian pumpkins, because in Styria (part of Austria) they press the seeds to make a very expensive oil.

Comment

Thanks Zelenina,

I had wondered if it was a summer squash and used like courgette as their Web page says harvest is July to September. I guess that isn't correct (I have emailed them but no reply yet)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

No, not a summer squash. According to the Polish sites you harvest them in the second decade of October, which I presume means between 10th and 20th.

But they are not usually a good type for winter storage either. You take the seeds out and store them and use up the flesh quickly, maybe for soups or animal feed. Unless this is a variety with improved flesh quality, but I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Ah, I've just seen that it's a semi-bush variety, so not as rampant as most of this type.
                Last edited by Zelenina; 22-10-2014, 02:15 PM. Reason: adding newly discovered facts

Comment

mmm, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

If the flesh isn't that tasty and doesn't store well it will still make a lovely Halloween lantern I suppose. After all, marrows taste of nothing and we still enjoy them stuffed with bolognaise sauce

Looking forward to the seeds though... the chickens usually get all our squash seeds but I think I'll be trying these ones roasted with salt.

Comment

Keep the seeds and give the pumpkins to the chickens. After Halloween of course

Comment

All my seeds arrived yesterday - bonanza. 12 packets for about a fiver, including £2 postage! Thought I had better get in there, before the prices went up. The cheapest was Stereo Broad Beans for 11p! Thank you for flagging this up, VC.
                      My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Noosner, You have NVG to thank for flagging this up - she beat me to it

Comment

I tied googling it but only got top international players. Not exactly the squash seeds I was after.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I've just ordered 13 packs... I think I'm going to have to hide them from the Mrs! Or I'll be in trouble!

Comment

18 packets arrived yesterday for a tad over£6 - not to bad.

Now all I need to do is find another garden to plant up.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Is anyone else still waiting for their seeds to be delivered?
                                I think I ordered mine on the 22nd of October. I know it hasn't really been that long but I see many of you got yours very quickly.

And of course....I am like a kiddie waiting for the postman on their birthday

Strike that folks.... They just arrived!
                                Last edited by muddled; 03-11-2014, 12:13 PM. Reason: postman just turned up!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X